Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:33:43 PM

Author Topic: Ebay 4 Axis USB CNC Controller?  (Read 4940 times)

Ebay 4 Axis USB CNC Controller?
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
Anyone used one of these cards with Mach 3 yet?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251191119120

I'm looking to add a rotary axis to my router. Being I'm using all the outputs on my G540 right now figure this may be a cheaper router to control another axis.
Re: Ebay 4 Axis USB CNC Controller?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
I used to use the SmoothStepper.  I've lost count of how many times a change was made in Mach3 that required new firmware and/or a new plug-in for the SmoothStepper to keep things working properly, but those updates always came fairly promptly, and bug reports were always dealt with in a timely manner.  What are the chances a low-cost, no-name Chinese motion controller will get updated often enough to keep it working reilably?  How are they going to respond to bug reports, if at all?  Personally, I would not waste the money.  Spend a little more and get something with a proven track record, like the SmoothStepper.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
I have not used the card, but by looking at the top-left corner of the board, it seems to be a DC-DC boost or step down add-on module, I don't think it's a good design, may cause interferences or skipping steps, you can check it out with seller, most likely they know nothing about the board.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
I have not used the card, but by looking at the top-left corner of the board, it seems to be a DC-DC boost or step down add-on module, I don't think it's a good design, may cause interferences or skipping steps, you can check it out with seller, most likely they know nothing about the board.

Not sure what you base that on....  There is not a reason in the world a switching converter like that cannot be used on that board without any problems whatsoever.  Those things are now absolutely trivial to design, and work extremely well.  Getting missed steps as the result of using that kind of converter would be a sign of monumental incompetence on the part of the designer.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.