Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:48:24 PM

Author Topic: Parallel port wiring  (Read 3489 times)

Parallel port wiring
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
What is the easiest, most simple way to wire drivers to a 25 pin parallel port. Please detail return connection for the signals and hi/low selection from port and pins. I do not want to use a isolation board like ez step, etc.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
Pins 1-9, 14, 16 and 17 are output pins and pins 10-13 and 15 are inputs. Pins 18-25 are Gnd pins.
Depending on your drives you may also have to provide a 5v supply for them, best option would be to take that from your computers USB or power supply.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
So what you are telling me is: connect step and direction outputs from the parallel port to -step and -dir. on the driver and then feed +5v to both the +step and +dir. on the driver. Is that correct?

Do I need to get the +5v from the computer, or can I supply it with a wall wart? If I must get it from the computer, what is the easiest way to get it? Cut open a USB cable and find the + 5v?
Thanks,
Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:59:38 AM »
I would say be careful, if you do not know how to wire up stepper drives then doing so directly to the port is risky ;)
I dont know what drives you have and what they are expecting and whether their step/dir inputs will require more current than the PP can supply.
If they require 5v then yes you can use a wall wart but you will have to tie its 0v side to the computers 0V so that the signals have the same reference. If using the USB cable then yes thats the easiest way, the 0V will already be tied to the computers supply.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »
Thanks Hood,
I have hooked up step drives many times, but have forgotten the exact wiring. I never had to add 5 volts. I am using Chinese drivers with 4 signal inputs (step-/+,  dir -/+) plus 2 enable inputs.

I'm wondering whether the trouble I am having is from the old computer I am using that has a DB25 parallel port.  I may retrieve the old tower desktop computer from the attic, and try that.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »
You would likely just connect Step - and Dir - to Gnd pins and have the Step + and Dir + connected to the output pins.
Just make sure the drive doesnt require more current that the port can supply or you may blow the port.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
BTW Usually these Chinese drives require an enable signal, ie a 5v supply to enable them.
Hood