Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:34:08 AM

Author Topic: RE: Unsupported aftermarket Digitizer Probe for Carbide 3D Shapeoko XX  (Read 4027 times)

Greetings,

I am new to CNC .... so I don't have a lot of CNC knowledge.... Yet…so apologies if my phrasing or context is a little out of sync.

In June or July  of this year I plan to purchase Carbide 3D Shapeoko XXL    https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/frontpage/products/shapeoko-xl-kit?variant=15826339270   However I have a hardware / software  problem that I need to solve first ....I would really appreciate any assistance / input  that this forum could provide..

My Application / Problem

1. I would like to use  the  Shapeoko CNC Router  with a digital probe attached to it   to systemically digitize  my bas relief art pattern, the goal is to create a digital file which can be rescaled to different sizes .. and be out put in variety  materials wood metal, plastics etc.....
2. The master pattern could be anywhere from three quarters to one quarter of an inch thick the overall size will vary.  I will be producing hundreds of patterns and would like to do this in house

My request to this forum for Assistance:

3. Is there  way to address this through "alternative" software such as Mach 3 or 4 (the hobby version)  so I don’t have to go to a third party to scan my bas relief artwork ..
4. Can somebody in this forum please  tell me in point form what hardware and software upgrades I would have to make to the Carbide 3D Shapeoko XXL https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/frontpage/products/shapeoko-xl-kit?variant=1582633927     to accept a digitizer.

Carbide 3D advised me that a their software could not support a digitizer  the explanation below was provided: 

Excerpts from the Carbide 3's forum:

GRBL G38

GRBL does support G38. (And if my memory is correct we submitted the patch to add it to GRBL right before the Nomad shipped)
Carbide Motion supports G38 as well

Touch probes with Carbide Motion
You could hack a touch probe onto a Shapeoko but you'd need software to probe along a grid, or some other pattern, and then record a point cloud. Then you need to convert it to an STL to create a new toolpath. The hardware and firmware in the Shapeoko would handle this but Carbide Motion doesn't.

Many Thanks and Regards,

Ed

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Hi Ed,

Mach3 will allow you to G31 (straight probe) the surface of a relief to create a 'point cloud' which you could then convert to a Gcode file for the machining reproduction of the original at any scale size you choose.

Sounds good but be prepared that mechanical probing, like this, takes a considerable amount of time (dependent on the resolution).

Tweakie.
PEACE
Thanks Tweakie...

I have been told by other sources as well that Mach 3 is the way to go ... my biggest issue now is the CNC router system and how to configure it for the Mach 3 or 4 software

Currently - I am planning to purchase a Shapeoko 3 XXL CNC Machine and I intend to run it with Mach 3 or 4

First Question: Does anybody out there have an organized hardware  list of what would need to be added to the Shapeoko to configure it for Mach 3 https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/frontpage/products/shapeoko-xl-kit?variant=15826339270

Here’s what I have / know so far that would support a configuration change in order to support Artsoft Mach 3 or 4:

G540 4-Axis Digital Step Drive http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g540.html

Motherboard Parallel LPT Printer Port Cable slot bracket 25 Pin socket female Optional depends on your current computer

Upgraded power supply?

Second Question:
What do I ask Carbide 3D to remove from it’s current offering so that I don’t have redundant components.

I need to confirm the final hardware  configuration of  Shapeoko 3 XXL to support the Mach 3 software

Thanks for responding &  your help..

Regards,
Ed Zac