Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:22:18 PM

Author Topic: New years resolution  (Read 11618 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
New years resolution
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
HOW about when a USERS requests help on a issue that they STATE what setup and equipment they have UP FRONT on the first post.

many times I see a 20 questions game JUST to find out what the user has as far as equipment. IF you have a Cancnc plasma system say so, If you have a USB Smooth stepper say so.

Post your XML as well . It saves having someone to ASK for it

It would SAVE so much time and effort.

Thanks and HAPPY NEWYEAR to all , (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: New years resolution
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
Would be good but unlikely ;D
A lot of new people dont even know what they have as they have bought, a supposedly, ready to run machine.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »
Man oh man have i thought about the same thing Terry.
Even considered providing a check list of info to provide, but as Hood said, some don't have a clue.
What kills me is that i have to spend time hunting down info just to find what they have.

I surely would like to hear suggestions on the matter.

Hey Hey.....for each time Hood asks for an xml file I put a penny in the jar towards his retirement. For each time one is not posted or it's asked where to find it i remove a penny. So far he will need to work till year 3013.  :D

RICH 

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
BUT if you don't start training poeple as to what you need you will always be asking the 20 questions. When people start working WITH you other new people will get the idea and fall in line.

A NICE BIG sticky list of help requirements lets them KNOW what it expected and IF you point them to the list and they don't respond good luck to ya. Better for them to hunt and scratch than you to pull out your hair. (;-) FORCE the OEMs to do more on their part instead of sending them to the Machsite.

IF you do not get a grip on it NOW think what it will be like when Mach4 hits the street (;-)

I would hope that MACH4 gets a NEW totally seperate website .

Just a thought, (;-)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Maybe a short sticky form at the top where they can fill in the blanks then Copy and paste into their request ????

SHort and sweet, (;-) TP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:39:03 AM »
Hey Hey.....for each time Hood asks for an xml file I put a penny in the jar towards his retirement. For each time one is not posted or it's asked where to find it i remove a penny. So far he will need to work till year 3013.

Nice one Rich  ;D ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 03:11:09 AM »
Geez, Terry!  What are you going to suggest next?  People should RTFM??  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »
I really don’t think that ‘RTFM’ is a reasonable response to questions asked on this forum.

Yes, they should do that but it is not their fault if they are unable to fully understand the terminology used, after all, many new members are starting at ground zero - they are here and using this forum because they wish to learn.

Anything that can make the task of helping others easier, quicker or more effective has to be good.

Just my opinion.  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »
I can remember what I was like when I started out, made a lot of mistakes which cost me money. The guy that sold me the hardware said he would help me out until I had it running, once he had my money he wasnt so keen ::) Thankfully Art gave me some help but John Prentice spent a lot of time helping me out, so I have them to thank, especially John and I am really grateful he put up with my stupid questions.

I do see where you are coming from Terry and it definitely would be a good thing to happen but I just cant see it really working as sweetly as you envision unfounately.
 Having said that it does annoy me when I ask for info or xml or whatever and it seems like the person I am trying to help deliberately does not want to comply. There can be several reasons for that, one is they dont really understand what I am asking for. In that case I just wish they would say so and it could then be explained a bit better, we are all guilty of speaking in the CNC lingo and forget  that a few years back we would also have not had a clue what was being asked.
 There are others however that seem to have an attitude and that they know best and why should they supply info requested, after all they are only here to ask for help not supply us with help to help them ::).
Then there are others who think we are mind readers ;)

Yes the more info provided can help but too much makes me skim through whats been written and probably miss some pertinent info.
If it would be possible to do as you say, a list of hardware, short or concise and supply the xml,  then yes that would be great but as mentioned for someone new to this that in itself will be a major task.
No harm in trying to get it that way though so I suppose we can only wait and see what the new year brings.

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
I understand exactly the newbie syndrome. BUT the way to be an expert is first RTFM and then supply what info you have so at least we know you are using mach3 (;-). That is not too much to ask.

(;-) TP