Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:58 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 setup problems  (Read 6829 times)

Offline drf24

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Mach3 setup problems
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »
First let me say I have tried searching for other posts with similar problems. I have tried everything I could find. Even went to Youtube to watch the tutorials, still no luck.
I have been trying to figure this out for the past 3 days (on Vacation) and I have yet to get any movement from the motors! I will most likely do cart wheels when one of the motors actually move!
my setup is a "kit" from Automation Technologies. 3 KL23H2100-50-4B stepper motors, 3 KL-6050 stepper motor drivers, and a C-10 breakout board running on XP professional on a surplus industrial computer.
Everything is wired per the diagrams found on Automation Technologies website. I'm still not sure they are correct but they are aired as the schematics.
Everything is setup on the bench to ensure it is working correctly. I have the E-Stop set to a normally open state. There are no limit switches hooked up yet. I did try to jumper a wire to make sure that wasn't causing my problem.
I have run the driver test several times and it passes with flying colors. I have noticed though, my X & Z axis motors "lock up" (I'm unable to turn by hand) when power is applied but I can still turn the Y axis by hand.
Thanks for any help in advance!
Dean

Offline drf24

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 setup problems
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »
Forgot to mention, I added the XML incase it may be of some help.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:02:50 AM »
Hi Dean,

Check that you have the Y axis motor wired correctly. All motors should lock when power is applied.

Download and run Parmon http://www.geekhideout.com/parmon.shtml this will enable you to test that your LPT parallel port is enabled and working OK.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »
You have Jog Control switched off, enable that and see if you can jog. It is middle lower of the main page in Mill.
Also you have some keyboard keys assigned for jogging that are not stahdard, best to put them to standard, ie go to Config menu then System Hotkeys and click on X++ and when the box pops up press right arrow on keyboard, move on to X-- and press left arrow, etc
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »
One other thing, you have it set to tep Jog and the increment is 1 unit. This means when you press the arrows it will move 1 inch and will stop until you release and press again. Best to put it in continuous jog at this stage. To do that press Tab key on keyboard and on the flyout screen click the Jog mode button until continuous is Lit.
Hood

Offline drf24

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, I downloaded Parmon last night just haven't had a chance to try it. I did check the outputs on the board last night with an o-scope and I seen what I would describe as pulses "riding the other waveform" Once I grounded the the scope probe though I didn't see any activity at all.
Well back to the garage so see if this works!
Thanks again!
Dean

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
Your scope trace sounds like noise, what scale did you have the scope on? you want 5v/div if using a 1x probe.
Hood

Offline drf24

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
The only time I would get the traces or "spikes" was while I was trying to move an axis.
I have tried all of the suggestions, no luck yet. I went back and checked the wiring for the Y axis. Plugged the motor into the X axis driver and the motor locked when I powered it up.
I ran Parmon while I did all of this. The connector would only go high on the -x and -y movement.
I am beginning to wonder if the breakout board is sending all of the signals to ground.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
Do you have the correct port address set in Mach?
Can you unplug the parallel cable and test with the scope direct on the port whilst jogging?
Hood

Offline drf24

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »
378 according to the System Device manager
Still looking at the breakout board, it has to be something simple I am missing