Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:28:16 PM

Author Topic: Need Help Getting ShopMaster Stepper Motors Running Under CNC Control  (Read 9486 times)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new at this.  I recently purchased a ShopMaster/Shoptask Eldorado Tri-power with factory CNC and DRO.  I've loaded up the AirSoft demo package and went through the setup.  I used X-Step Pin #2, X-Dir Pin #3, Y-Step Pin #4, Y-Dir Pin #5, Z-Step Pin #6, and Z-Dir Pin#7.  All are on Step Port and Dir Port 1 and the software said the port was "excellent."  I've also been through the speed/half speed jog setting and estop.  To the best of my knowledge these are all correct

The software works fine onscreen and everything runs as it should, onscreen.  The problem is that the stepper motors don't run.  If I toggle the X-stepper left, I hear the stepper whine a bit (barely preceptible), but there is no movement.  If I then try to toggle the X-stepper right, there is no movement and no whine.  But if I toggle the Y-stepper up or the Z-stepper, I can now toggle the X-stepper to the right and there is a faint whine, but no movement.

The same occurs with the other two steppers/axis.  If I toggle Y-up, I get a bit of whine that I don't get when I toggle Y- down, unless I toggle X or Z in between.  Same goes for the Z-axis.

The velocity and acelleration controls do have an effect as they change the tone of the whine.  Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Getting ShopMaster Stepper Motors Running Under CNC Control
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:49:43 AM »
Did the controller come with the machine and was everything pre wired?
Do you have a manual from ShopMaster for the controller?

RICH
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
I am the second owner.  The first owner never used the machine (purchased in 2008) and the CNC unit was factory installed.  I didn't get a manual and the PO said he never got a manual with it either.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:36:09 PM by toddalin »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »
We need to know something about the drives, motors, any break out boards, etc. Without a manual this thread may go on forever. Contact the manufacturer and see what you can get from them.

I can see that there are steppers but thay are not connected to anything......

RICH
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:50:02 PM by RICH »
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
They are just not connected in that picture for cleaning and painting.

I took the side cover off to try to see the circuit board to identiy it, but all I could see were very big transformers and caps for the motors (old school) that obscured the view of the board without taking the whole upper structure apart.

The steppers are MCG, IH34110, 2 phase, 1.8 step, 4.3 amps, 0.5 ohm, 19 watts.

Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »
It sounds like an amp setting on the drive, could be wrong. I see the connections on the back cover and one would think that nobody fooled with the internals...but you don't know. Power via top plug, looks like connection for PC, individual axis plugs,
don't know what the others are for. Get a manual for it.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Limit switches

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
Get info on the drive / drives that are used. If you want post your xml file and somebody will take a look.
RICH
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
Thanks,

I guess I was hoping that someone had a ShopMaster/ShopTask Eldorado Tri-Power with factory CNC and knew the Pin and Step #s.  The PO said he didn't receive a manual on the CNC option with the machine as new and I've seen others say the same on other sites.

I've e-mailed JT at Shopmaster but received no response so far.  But it is holiday season.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »
OK, today I ripped off the CNC cabinet to see what's inside.  This should help.  I'm assuming that the third picture will tell the tail of where the pins go.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:05:02 PM by toddalin »