Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:50:27 AM

Author Topic: New Built - Beginning Stages  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Zig

•  28 28
    • View Profile
New Built - Beginning Stages
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
I like to tinker and kind of go off in my own direction with projects.  I'm building a CNC machine that is loosely based on the buildyourown machine designs, but I'm changing a few things.  To keep costs and complexity low, I'm using drawer slides and 3/4" ply. 

I always throw together YouTube videos of my projects.  So here's the first part of this project.

Feel free to hit me with comments.  Positive or negative.  All suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JX7JI47Uo0&list=UU3RIdlSCWn1w0Quh6zm6M1A&index=2

Thanks,
Zig

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New Built - Beginning Stages
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 02:51:17 AM »
Hi Zig,

Nice work and excellent video.

However, I think you will be disappointed with the performance, later on down the line, from those drawer slides supporting your gantry.

Just a thought – fitting two more (identical) slides (rotated 90 degrees radially) underneath the bed and connected to the cross member so that they close as the others are opening (and visa versa) may give some much needed extra support to the gantry.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Zig

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:55:43 AM »
Tweakie,
Excellent suggestions.   Something along those lines crossed my mind the other day.  Yeah, we'll see how it goes with the slides they may have more slop than I would like.

Thanks,
Zig

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
Hi Zig,

Ideally, of course, it would be best to use the purpose made (fully supported) linear slides but unfortunately they come at a price. However, there are many that have successfully used the draw slides for their CNC build but be aware that they can have their disadvantage…

I use some miniature (high cost, professional) versions, for laser optics positioning (which work on the same principal) and although they are smooth and very low friction sooner or later the cage, containing the balls, gets out of step with the slide - then they become ‘high friction’ when the balls have to 'skid' in order for the slide to reach it’s end stop and reset the cage positioning.  :'(

Please keep posting details, pictures or video links of you build – we all like to see pictures.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
Doesn't look like you have room, but there's a way to make a drawer slide machine a lot more rigid. Use two slides on each side, at opposite ends of the travel, opening towards the center. That way, when one slide is fully extended, the other is full retracted. Makes it a lot more rigid.
Downside is that it takes more space, more slides, and installation is rather tricky, as you probably need to use bolts and nuts to mount the slides.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Zig

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »
I'll be sure to post comments, pictures, and videos as this project moves along.  I do appreciate the replies and suggestions.  Good idea on the doubling up on the sides.  I could see how that would really strengthen the whole thing.  I could beef up the sides with some "walls" if need be.  I'm learning as I go with this project.  Rarely is the first build of anything that is somewhat complicated the final build.  I could seriously see this hobby becoming something very enjoyable.  I hope to have some time in the next week or two to get back to this build.  Work and other commitments are occupying the current schedule.

Thanks again,
Zig