Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:53:27 PM

Author Topic: Quick Mach 3 digitizing probe question  (Read 3939 times)

Quick Mach 3 digitizing probe question
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
Hi,
Could someone with Mach 3 digitizing probe experience give a newbie a hand?

I have a CNC Shark Pro that I have recently converted over to Mach 3. The old software I was using utilizes a "touch, and drag horizontally across the surface" method that seems to want to hang my probe up ion the work surface in areas. I've had this happen quite a few times and have luckily caught it before expensive damage ensued. I have 2 different probes and the same has happened with both of them. Needless to say, having to babysit a 10 hour probing session is tough enough but when it hangs up on the surface 6-7 hours into the operation and you lose your whole scan from doing an emergency stop....well, it tries your abilities to suppress the tool throwing reflex!  :D

Does Mach 3 probe in the method I described above or can it do the pin probing where it lowers, touches the object, raises back up, moves over and repeats? I've seen videos of machines doing this and I think it would be a better method for my application. I'm just trying to get as informed a possible and I think this would allow me to start the cycle and go do other things in the shop. I'm out of toothpicks necessary to keep my eyelids propped open and I really need to cut back on coffee.  ;D

Thank you for your help!!!
Chris

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Mach 3 digitizing probe question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
Yes Mach3 can do the BED OF NAILS approach to probing. There should be a WIZARD to set it up .

(;-)TP
Re: Quick Mach 3 digitizing probe question
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »
Thank you! I really appreciate the quick reply.  And now I know the correct terminology as well. My back hurts from carrying so much ignorance around sometimes  :D