Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:54:46 AM

Author Topic: problem with steps per inch  (Read 2106 times)

problem with steps per inch
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
I am having problems with setting steps per inch. When I am in the settings/steps per inch program. I select the x axis and tell my machine to move -.75. it moves, then asks how far did it accualy move. I input what my dial indicator says and try again to see if it is moving the right distance. it alway has a different number no matter how many times  I repeat the process. I finaly noticed when I hold down my tab key on keyboard and move the axis, which I have set for .01, I have to click on the axix button 4 to 5 times before it accualy moves the .01 then every click it moves .01. When it starts to move the .01 it moves relatively .01 every time i click on the axis button. The problem I seem to be having is when I move the axis in the other direction it takes 4 to 5 click to get it moving .01 again, reverse direction and it takes 4 to 5 clicks to get it moving .01 again. this happens every time i change direction. does anyone know if this is a program setting in Mach or am I have mechanical problems. I have the X and the A axis slaved together since I am using two motors for the X axis. I have the A motor moving in the reverse direction to move with the X motor which works fine. Any help would be much apreciated. Thank you all for this form.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: problem with steps per inch
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
Personally I prefer to calculate the steps per unit from the hardware used as using the ste steps utility will only ever be as accurate as your measuring, also using it you really need to move over a large distance to get things more accurate.
Regarding the 4 or 5 clicks on reversal before the dial moves, that is backlash, could be in bearings or screws or even flexing of brackets.
Hood