Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:51:54 PM

Author Topic: Importing DXF files  (Read 11182 times)

Importing DXF files
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
In the Mach3 manual, it has a chapter on importing dxf files and being able to convert that into gcode directly in Mach3.  The manual says that its in the file menu, but we don't have an option for importing them in our copy of Mach3.  Our copy is licensed; so I don't know if that's for a different version of Mach3 or something is wrong with our copy. 

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Importing DXF files
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
I dont think that Mach3 can import directly DXF files but in the file menu there is "Open Lazy Cam" which is a free software and after Mach installation you have the option to also install Lazy Cam.

When you open Lazy Cam you have the option to open DXF files and after you apply the required settings you can export the generated gcode directly to Mach3.

Lazy Cam is free and so it is not an advanced software but good enough for me and I use it quite often. I also bought the Lazy Cam Pro license which gives you the option for pocketing etc.
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Oh ok I think ours came with lazycam as well.  Maybe I just misinterpreted what the manual said.  Now, there were a lot of different post processors (I believe I'm using the correct term for the type of gcode being written), and I didn't know which one would be exactly what we'd need to work with our hypertherm Plasma with height control and plate marker.  In Sheetcam for instance there is Mach3, Mach3 Plasma, Plasma THC, Plasma with plate marker, etc.  I've looked into the basics of gcode, however, I'm not confident enough to write my own for anything other than simple shapes.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
I'm only a hobby user so take my answers just as a guide. I use MastercamX5 and I got the post processor from the Mach downloads site (its called Mach3b.pst).

I dont know if Sheetcam needs a Mach3 post processor but since there is as you say Mach3, Mach3 Plasma, etc. perhaps you dont need a post processor. Do you have a function in Sheetcam to simulate a cut? On my MastercamX5 I always run the simulation to assure that all is ok before I copy the gcode to Mach3. Even then I check the gcode to assure that at least the depth of cut is what I want.

After I'm happy with my gcode I use the button on Mach3 "open gcode", point to the directory where my code is and I always run a trial cut with the tool raised to assure again that all is ok.

Others may chime in and provide more help
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
Older versions of Mach3 (when the manual was written) had a .dxf importer. Several years ago, it was replaced by LazyCAM.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html