Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:58:59 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys and M39 relay board weirdness  (Read 7270 times)

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
Pokeys and M39 relay board weirdness
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »
Hi
I have a pokeys 56U and a CNC4PC m39 relay board. With nothing connected to the relays everything operates perfectly. The relays turn on and off properly. As soon as I put any kind of load on the relays when I switch on a relay it turns on some or all of the other relays randomly.

Any ideas on this one?
Thanks
Derek

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Pokeys and M39 relay board weirdness
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
Check the cables. The cables between PoKeys board and relay board should be kept as short as possible. Additionally, check the user manual under the 'Frequently asked questions' for 'Some outputs on PoExtBus boards are not responding. ' question. Check if the capacitor is present on your board.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
Hi Neoto
I'm only running a single board.
I did some more testing this morning.
It has to do with what I'm switching. I'm using it to switch 24Vdc air valves. I did some tests and It will switch small (case) fans at 24V and 12V. I hooked up a 12V air valve and it has the same problem.
It seems the coils are creating a ton of noise and causing the relay board or pokeys to go bananas.

Derek

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:51:39 AM »
Highly-inductive loads can cause a lot of noise when being switched by the relays. Check that you have separate power supply for powering the valves and include a proper snubber circuit.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope