Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:03:55 AM

Author Topic: NFS surface wizard, am I just stupid or is it a bit cryptic?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
NFS surface wizard, am I just stupid or is it a bit cryptic?
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
As the title  ???

I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the moment with the NFS wizards, I've set a 25mm cutter for surfacing the table, my table has 762mm actual movement on X and 618mm on Y, these are also set in the soft limits so they show the edge of travel in the preview.

I'm trying to surface the top of my sacrificial board so at first I tried -8.5mm on X and Y corner and set the width and length to 630 and 770 as this would give me a larger surfaced area then the table movement (movement + cutter rad)
But after a bit of messing it looked like the movements on the wizard are the actual axis movement not the finished edge of cutter size so I changed these to X,Y corner to 0 and the length and width to 752 and 612 to give me a little inside the actual movement of the table, the working zero was set inside the machine zero a little to make sure it was away from the edge of travel.

I looked on the preview and the bottom of the cut was coming outside Y by quite a bit (my zero is bottom left as you look at the machine X+ to the right  Y+ away/up) so the axis was trying to come out on a -Y travel.
I tried to cut it anyway but softlimits complained so I didn't cut it.
I then altered the Y travel from 612mm to 600mm and it now showed the travel as being inside the limits, set the cut off and it's started cutting at the top left corner inside the limits by quite a bit, I didn't measure it but I'd guess at around 12.5mm - 1/2 cutter dia!
So is the wizard broken and just putting out random code or does it take cutter dia/rad into account or do I work on the cutter centre line and allow for the cutter dia/rad manually?

Grrrrr
Steve
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:00:30 PM by bowber »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: NFS surface wizard, am I just stupid or is it a bit cryptic?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »
That wizard has always been a bit weird . You have to remember that in that wizard no matter WHERE you set the 0,0 it will always START at the top left of the material.

You set the tool diam and it SHOULD offset everything based on the offset.  Also double check your approach value THAT can also add to the offsetting in X.

IT really COULD use a rebuild to make it conforms to normal conventions.

You need to turn OFF soft limts to be able to use the largest envelope possible to surface your spoil board.

(;-) TP

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
Re: NFS surface wizard, am I just stupid or is it a bit cryptic?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »
Ok great, thanks for the reply.
I think I'll just use the pocket wizard.

All I wanted to do was give the table a quick level up before engraving a sign  ::) Mind you at the speed it travels I don't think it'll be that quick  ;D

Steve