Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:05:29 AM

Author Topic: Autocad to g-code measurement problem  (Read 8058 times)

Autocad to g-code measurement problem
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:02 AM »
Hi, I am using autocad 2009, Lazycam version 3.00.2 and MACH 3 R3.043

I can export file from autocad to lazycam.
And then can post code to mach 3.

Problem is when doing these I can't define exactly what will be the drawing size.
Suppose I want a 6 inch x 10 inch nameplate to cut.

In autocad I can define the paper size and hence the drawing size. When opening a new file in lazy cam It shows dialogue for project size, which have no units. Scale drawing in lazycam is actually unit conversion as I understand inch-->mm and mm-->inch.
Also can change the scale (x,y,z scale unit change) in mach 3. And how to change table size in mach 3?

My cnc machine is cnc 3040 commonly sold on ebay. When command G1 X10 F200 it goes exactly 10mm from mach 3.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Autocad to g-code measurement problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
Start out by drawing at 1:1 in Acad then everything else will be to scale.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
I kind of figured it out. But text isn't coming to the lazycam from acad. Also tried adobe illustrator. I can drag text in lazycam but they are too much spacy and it is hard to determine a specific size. Also each letter is double lined. What I want is filled inside letter

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Try exploding the text before you save as DXF.  Native text in Acad is not in vectored format. Exploding it converts it to vector.

A filled area means NOTHING  in CNC or Cam  . Do you mean you want a single stroke font for engraving or enclosed font to create 3d letters?

OR something else.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:19:06 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
OK I am at home now, I will test tomorrow and let you know. Btw what (;-)TP means?

Rev reply: I mean single stroke font, but stroke weight can be controlled like it is heavy or light.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:33:24 PM by adolescent »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:14 PM »
TP are his initials. :)

As he said, draw at full size in model space, you don't want to use paper space for cnc use. You should also always save as v12 .dxf for best compatibility.

As for text, you need to use the Express Tools TextExplode command, not the regular explode. Express Tools aren't installed by default, so you may need to do a re-install if you don't have them. You'll probably also want to do some cleanup after using TextExplode,

For filled text, you'll either want to pocket it, or V-Carve it. You'll probably want to use another CAM program for that.
A workaround would be to fill it with a dense hatch in AutoCAD, and explode the hatch, leaving lots of lines inside the text.

Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »
You may want to consider making your owne single line text set. Easily done by just drawing over placed text in CAD and when you draw the text use a min number of arcs for the curved parts. The g code file produced will be very small as compared to exploded text.
RICH
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
You could also just use the included WRITE Wizard for the text.
The MonoTXT font is a stick type.
You can size it and position it right there in the wizard.
If that font suits you.
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
I normaly use DeskEngrave(free) to create the DXF version of the letters then copy/paste into the Drawing.  That way you have access to any WIndows Font for designs.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
DeskEngrave seems easy. Also I will try other methods. Later I will try to do something more 3D.

Thank you all.

(where's the signature! ;)