Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:28:33 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet and computer question  (Read 9773 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet and computer question
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »
Hi Russ, its an ASUS AT5NM10T-I  Had it a while now so maybe they are not available any more. My friend got a nice wee Intel mini ITX, cant remember the model but will try and find out.
Regarding the 2.5inch HDD, they are fine, I use them on all my machines and so far not a problem with any.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
Thanks Hood.
I have several of the little drives on hand.
Is there a special connector for these ? To adapt them to IDE, or SATA  to connect them to the MoBo ? (if that makes sense)
Or is circuitry involved .... like a USB external drive ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
If its a SATA drive it will plug right in with the same power connector and SATA cable that the 3.5 inch drives use. If its an IDE HDD then you will need an adapter like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-2-5-Inch-HDD-to-3-5-Inch-IDE-44pin-40pin-Adapter-/140536730135?pt=UK_Computing_Drive_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20b8a45217 to connect it to the IDE plug on the mobo, assuming of course your mobo has IDE.

Hood
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »
hmmm ... this is one from a clunker I just decommissioned.
Connector is 21mm wide and 2 row. Should this be in the Smithsonian ? ::) ;D
It's 6GB

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 06:26:49 PM »
Russ thats likely  just an adapter for the laptop, unscrew that and I reckon you will have a normal 2.5inch drives IDE there.
Hood
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
Oh yes !
  Just a flat ribbon connection plastered to the back that goes round to the IDE.
It was stickied quite well so I was afraid to rip it off initially.
Thank you.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
DD hard drives hold up better in harsher environments but don't last as long. SS drives use wear leveling to evenly distribute wear. I have hard drives that are over 10 years old and still spinning along. Can't say the same for USB flash drives, and they aren't used every day.

I'm not talking about a disposable USB flash drive.  I'm talking about a real solid state drive.  When you need to run a PC over a wide temperature range in a harsh environment, conventional drives will fail before a good solid state drive every time.  That said, most people are not running in such a harsh environment that a conventional drive will be a problem.  We use the Intel 520 series drives.  They range in price from around $200 up $800 depending on capacity.

Just take a look at what Burny, Hypertherm, ProMotion, etc. are using in their controllers.  They've done a lot of R&D to develop a controller that is as bullet proof as possible.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »
   Sorry to ressurect this thread but I see mention of using the intel Atom mobo.

Hood, you mention it has a great stable driver test in 1 thread though you use yours via Ethernet controllers or other. Is it possible that it is a 5 volt output on its PP? I am trying to sort an issue and need a fresh NEW computer but want to use a PP.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:24 PM »
I am trying to sort an issue and need a fresh NEW computer but want to use a PP.

This thread is about 3 year old computers.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html