Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:34:48 AM

Author Topic: pdf to dxf for bobcad  (Read 6415 times)

pdf to dxf for bobcad
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
can anybody transfer the attached into a pdf that bobcad 21 can read?  I used the trial of pdf to dwg/dxf converter and bobcad could not read it.  the front three holes are .750" for scaling needs.  I need this converted to make the blueprint and toolpath setup.  thank you in advance.   

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: pdf to dxf for bobcad
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
Give this a try . It is a common version DXF that should work.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
that version comes up to view but it is way outta whack in terms of size and numbers of broken chains.  Is it always like that when you convert from a pdf to dxf?  There are tons of segments instead of a nice organized profile.  The 3 like sized holes at the front should be .750" diameter however they show up as 15.****"  something or another.  I gues now it is manually redrawing it or is there a better form to shoot it into? 

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
FIrst you need to learn how to USE your cad and scale, rotate, and mirror. If you rescale the drawing by .04921 you will find it is then at the scale you want.

But aren't these questions you should be asking BOBCAD ???? THey should have a PDF to dxf convertor built in.

PS: I did not see the first broken chain in the drawing.  NO arcs you say?  You did not provide a vectored PDF. (;-)

I does have a money back guaranty

(;-)TP
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:59:40 PM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »
OPPS I did find 2 overlaps.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
TP
your help was greatly appreciated. i scaled it like you said and it worked out great.  i never used a pdf to dxf converter before so i did not know if it somehow affected the path to getting code.  Once again thank you for the help.  I still have a few open chains on the profile but i am trying to get them closed now.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:45 AM »
how did you come up with the number used for the scale?  I know there is a ratio formula but i cant remember what to search for.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »

(;-) Don't let me sarcasim get you down I teach a local CAD/cam class when there is anyone to teach.

When you are dealing with convertors they can only do what they see to do with. I did cheat and ran it through 2 different processes to get what I could from the PDF. What it did was set scale by the number of pixels it saw.  Some conversions come out very large as in this case the holes were 15.2400" in diam(;-).

TO scale a part you take the value you want it to be and divide it by what value you have. In this case it would have been .750/15.2400 = .04921 scale value. The hole should have come out exactly at .7500".

And yes it did make a sloppy drawing with segmented lines for arcs. BUT it only took about 5 min to clean it all up .  Now that it is to scale delete the circles for holes and apply a circle for holes. You have the centers for the holes so it goes quick Same with the arcs for the corners. 

NOW that said some converters DO use lines and arcs IF the PDF is a vectored PDF.   The free way I did it does not recognise the Vectoring in the pdf if there.

YOU did good, (;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
thanks for the walk through.  It was really easy to transfer it to a new dxf file like you said.  I did it in about 15 min after you posted that file and scale sizing.  still having some problems closing the chains but i have to go into bobcad the set chain gap and i think all will be good.