Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:57:25 AM

Author Topic: How to connect my SS to my Controll Card?  (Read 7584 times)

How to connect my SS to my Controll Card?
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
G-Day Folks...
Thanx for any advice you give me...
please tell me what to connect to where here please...Im tired getting old and ratty from a shoulder op...so will be really gratefull for a monkey see monkey do connection diag please
and thank-you very much
cheers
Haydn

its going on my mill retrofit that started 2 years ago so now need to get this thing working

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How to connect my SS to my Controll Card?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »
Not familiar with that board but it looks like it is just some sort of brakout for both port 1 and 2 of the Smoothstepper. How to connect cant be really advised as it all depends on the hardware and how you set it up in Ports and Pins in Mach.
Basically you would need to connect the step and dir pins of each axis to the Breakout board  and set the port and pin numbers up in Mach, same for E-Stop and any limits etc.
Pins 1-9 14, 16 and 17 are output pins so are used for connecting things like step/dir signals, coolant on etc. Pins 10-13 and 15 are inputs and are used for things like limits and E-Stop inputs.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
Thanx Mate
been such a long time since i got the breakout board U thought it was made by SS themselves ...went to the site thats on the breakout board and the manual is there so clears a lot of confusion up..
thanx again!
wil give it a shot tonight!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »
Righto..
after  a few hours of farting about..got the SS seeing the Mach3 but no movement on the motors..the cards are juiced up green lights are on but no movemnt when ordered to do so...

so disconnect pull apart chuck back in antistatic bag and throw in the drawer never to see the light of day again...

plug in printerport and presto...everything moves within 2 min of connecting up!

there are no instructions of how to connect the ss to to driver cards anywhere what a waste of a few hundred bucks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
The documentation is very lacking for the SmoothStepper but it shouldnt really be that hard to get things going with it as its meant as a direct replacement for the parallel port.
The main thing is you have the driver and plugin installed correctly and then on starting Mach you choose that you wish to use the SmoothStepper. If you dont get that option go to Function Configs menu and choose Reset Device Select. Next time you start Mach you should get the option to choose the SS plugin, if you dont then you dont have the plugin installed correctly.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Thanx Hood

the SS is working on Mach its installed correctly have the correct pins and port chosen I select the SS on the boot menu it then installs the software and then boots but come time to move the motors...nothing...something is holding the steppers fast as you cant turn the axels until you depower everything..but no action on the morors..the DRO,s are moving but no action on the motors the cards have the green lights on so ready to go....It may be a power supply issue but cant figuire it out...there is a jumper to connect that activates the 5v to use on the cards...it works there is 5v on the cards ..but fed up now wishe there was a wire diag so i could follow that and be done!
thanx for your help and advice anyway...
cheers
H

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
Do you have anything configured for port 2? Could be your enables are on Port 2 and the SS is set for pins 2-9 to be Inputs when you are needing outputs?
Hood
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
do you have a safety charge pump circuit requiring signal?  its happened to me not activating it on.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
G-Day Folks...
Thanx for any advice you give me...
please tell me what to connect to where here please...Im tired getting old and ratty from a shoulder op...so will be really gratefull for a monkey see monkey do connection diag please
and thank-you very much
cheers
Haydn

its going on my mill retrofit that started 2 years ago so now need to get this thing working

Wiring for the Stepper Driver to SS:
Short Pul- & Dir- and connect them to GND of C25, Puls+ to C25's port 1 pin2, Dir+ to C25's port 1 pin3.
In Mach3 go to---> Port & Pins---> Motor outputs----> enable X, step pipn =2 Dir pin =3
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
Here is one of my controller setup 2 years ago: