Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:43:44 AM

Author Topic: Blender 3D and Mach3  (Read 22070 times)

Re: Blender 3D and Mach3
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 02:37:43 PM »
Yes, sounds like you are looking for 2.5D instead of 3D (X, Y, and 'up or down' vs a continuously variable Z).  Have a look at the SheetCAM website and LazyCAM as ger21 suggested.  Can Blender render a 2D projection of what you want to cut out and then export that as a 2D DXF/HPGL/etc for something like LazyCAM?

Offline VOTS

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »
Looking at a few 2D CAD programs. Including Sheetcam. Blender doesn't support HPGL, I can export a flat (one vertices tall) DXF. But using either meshcam or Cut3D, but still want to 'carve' the object instead of cutting it out around the profile. I still have need of programs like Mescam, I rather like it. Evaluating Sheetcam, lazycam, and another I found called G-Code-IT. G-Code-IT is very simplistic, but, it makes 2D profile cutouts just like I was looking for. Only issue with it so far is scaling factor. everything I make is tiny when run through Mach3 or my CNC simulator. Getting closer.... Who knows, maybe one day I'll actually try to use my bloody CNC machine.

hehe

Offline VOTS

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »
OK, maybe I'll take a different approach and try to illustrate exactly what I'm trying to do. I have been at this all day, hours with Sheetcam, G-Code-it, Meshcam, Cut3D, etc, etc,etc.. Still, I can't seem to get what I want...

So here is what I am working with.

This is one of the many shapes I am trying to cut out. The nose and eye should be cut out, and then the outline.

From Blender, I have exported the same thing into a DXF format. (Attached) I have run both of these through all of the programs listed above in a dozen different ways each. I have gotten some rough G-code that looks like it when it's run. But it's still trying to 'Carve' out the whole shape, instead of just cutting the outlines. Sheetcam, won't recognize the DXF at all so far as I can tell. I load it, I get no errors. But there isn't anything on the screen. The G-Code-It program seemed to be the most promising, as I could load the JPG as a background, do a rough trace of the outline, and it actually made a decent example of what I am trying to get. Unfortunately, tracing the image is extremely cumbersome, and doesn't get me the crisp cutout I am looking for. Ideas anyone? I'm salivating to get a good G-code of a cutout and actually try out my mill!

Thanks for ANY insight you could offer in advance!

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 03:36:29 AM »
The problem is your DXF file is incomplete, for the shape you have shown it should be hundreds of lines long, It looks like you are not outputting all the layers.

Graham.

This is all that is in your DXF.

SECTION
TABLES
TABLE
LTYPE
LTYPE
CONTINUOUS
Solid line
ENDTAB
TABLE
LAYER
LAYER
Meshes
CONTINUOUS
ENDTAB
ENDSEC
SECTION
ENTITIES
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »
I did a quick conversion of your Jpeg and this is the DXF file It generated.

Try it.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline VOTS

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
The problem is your DXF file is incomplete, for the shape you have shown it should be hundreds of lines long, It looks like you are not outputting all the layers.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least that Blender is the root of my problems. Yet, If I open that same DXF in any CAD program, I see the full dimensions that I expect to see. I opened up the DXF you created (thanks a million for taking the time to do that by the way!) and the only different I can see, (aside from it being roughly 85 times bigger) is that yours has each segment as a separate entity. I.e. Each line connected by two vertexes being a separate object. Mine, it's all connected in one object. I don't know if that makes a difference. but it is very interesting. I am going to fiddle with the one you made and see what I can come up with. Again, thanks for looking at this with me!!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised in the least that Blender is the root of my problems. Yet, If I open that same DXF in any CAD program, I see the full dimensions that I expect to see.

Are you sure the file uploaded correctly? The file you posted won't open in AutoCAD or Rhino, and the file appears to not contain anything as Graham said.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline VOTS

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 04:06:32 PM »
Are you sure the file uploaded correctly? The file you posted won't open in AutoCAD or Rhino, and the file appears to not contain anything as Graham said.

Well, you nailed that one on the head. Went to open the DXF file I uploaded, and now it's hose beaned.* Here is the same file, but the edges have been extruded.

*Hose beaned - CAD/CAM technical jargon meaning 'missing allot of pertinent data because it's been fiddles with too much...'

P.S. Just purchased Sheetcam. Went through one of the tutorials, and it is supposed to be able to do EXACTLY what I am after here, :)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
Hi, VOTS

Hear it is in g-code LazyCam generated, you'll need to edit the Z & f-speed.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline VOTS

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
Thanks Chip!!!

Thats a little more than I expected! hehe. You guys have been great. I seriously want to learn this stuff and all of you have been a great help! I actually generated my own cutout G-Code with Sheetcam. (After I scaled down the DXF GER21 made) I measured that one at a whopping 241 inches tall! hehe. (You guys must have BIG machines). Have a nice little g-code at about 6 inches tall. And it seems to run groovy. Methinks I might actually be at the point where I will run it on the mill! *Begins to salivate freely*

BTW: If any one else comes looking for Blender / Mach3 help, one thing I have definitely figured out is the Blender's DXF export function does NOT handle 2D mesh's correctly!!!!! Although it looks correct in allot of applications, the absence of faces causes the edges to 'negate' themselves during the export. What you end up with is a kinda connect the dots outline of vertices's that have no connection to each other. I have submitted a bug fix to the Blender Guru's.

Hopefully, my next post here will be of my first widget cut by my mill. (Which will be very much like a junkies first hit of crack cause I have a feeling this is gonna be VERY addictive. hehe)  :)