Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:17:56 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 or CAM tool offsets?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
Mach3 or CAM tool offsets?
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
I like the method that Mach3 provides for setting various tool offsets into a tool table as it's very easy. I just change datum all axis, choose a tool, lower it onto my DTI gauge block, and click Set Tool Offset. Simple.
I have now just started using a CAM program which has its own tool library but which also suggests that the 'Machine' tool library, Mach3 in my case, can be imported into the CAM.
I have tried to find the Mach3 tool folder but can't. I could hand type all the offset lengths but this could lead to errors. I am also worried about compounding offsets if they are applied by both the CAM and Mach3 at the same time e.g. an offset of 214.402mm becomes 428.804mm etc.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

...Sweep

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 or CAM tool offsets?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
The tool table file is a DATA file and not readily readable to use as an import file.

What File format does the CAM program expect to see when doing an import?

(;-) TP

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »
If you're applying the offsets in CAM, you don't need to enter them in Mach3, and vice-versa.  Unless you're doing very high precision work, I doubt you really need to worry about tool diameter errors from nominal, so you can just apply the offsets in CAM - it's much simpler that way.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:37:49 AM »
Thanks TP & Ray,

I will try and find out what file format the CAM uses or is looking for but I guess it will be whatever type is used within a Fanuc equipped machine.
I think I need to run a few sample programs and compare the axis movements between both. I noticed that within the first couple of dozen of G code that G43 is programmed so I'm not even sure yet if the CAM has taken length offsets into account or its just used in the simulation.
If it has and is also calling a G43 then Mach will also act on this during the M6 command and add its own offset.
I am working away for three days so it may be the weekend before I can run any trials.

Thanks ...Sweep

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
I would let the CAM run the Tool Radius offsets(toolDiam) and Mach3 run the toollength offsets(length)

It is the best of both worlds.  (;-) TP

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
I would let the CAM run the Tool Radius offsets(toolDiam) and Mach3 run the toollength offsets(length)

It is the best of both worlds.  (;-) TP

That would be the ideal scenario. I completely agree.

...Sweep