Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:09:49 AM

Author Topic: My first CNC project  (Read 5245 times)

My first CNC project
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »
Hi,

Here is my first CNC conversion.  Having worked in the scientific research industry for many years on equipment I now have been bitten by the CNC bug.  I look for cheap obsolete equipment that has parts that may be useful for CNC projects.  l This conversion took a Cartesian Technologies liquid dispenser and converted it to a small CNC router.  It was a simple conversion because once I opened it up I found it had three IMS-483 controllers  that are step/direction compatible controlling three stepper motors. :D  I basically replaced the control board with a board from  CNC4 PC and wired things up.  The system came with three optical homing sensors and a power supply.

I removed some extra hardware from the system and made a fixture to hold a small trim router and am up and running.  This one gives me the opportunity to learn Mach and gcode with something that will not take my arm off. :o   I have another larger  instrument conversion that I am working on  and will post it sometime. ;D

Todd
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:05:27 PM by lab auto man »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: My first CNC project
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:55 PM »
Todd,
Good use of surplus lab equipment. You can get some real nice parts from them.
Expect to see some more. Cheap, well that's my idea of good pricing.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »
Looks great, and a really nice sign. 8)
Old medical equipment has a lot of potential, too.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
Tidy job! Old scientific equipment tends to be really well made, and fairly simple to work with if all you're doing is converting it to something else. Good going :)
Re: My Second CNC project
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »
Hi,

I have upgraded to little larger machine.  Still recycled lab equipment.  I have now cut plastic, and aluminum.  The aluminum is a little slow going at .03 inches per pass and about 20 in/min.   Had to put on some plastic shield to try to contain the chips.

Todd

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »
Excellent work Todd, I look forward to seeing more.

Tweakie.
PEACE