Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:05:22 AM

Author Topic: Any new WIZARD ideas to work on ???  (Read 33975 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Any new WIZARD ideas to work on ???
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »
Dan a thought about multipass is to make the Root radius a variable starting with it being the same as the MAJOR diameter then do each complete pass based on that depth then lower the Radius value  a step and repeat. That is basically how I had planned to do it. It ADDS a lot more LOOPS BUT it should not cut air either.

CAM lobe as in engine camshafts are a beast math wise. You have a nonconcentric lobe and a ROUND gringing wheel that wears as it goes.  The point of contact to calculate depth of cut is a huge variable based on lobe rotation vs wheel diam. Basically is is a forever changing variable that you have to account for.

The big boys do it differently as they do it as a Live axis that Follows the contour mathematicaly like a C axis on the lathe as a live axis GEARED to the rotation of the spindle. EMC2 can do this but not mach3 as of yet.

I have the math here BUT not the brains to make it work ON THE FLY in mach3,  YET.

Another tuffy is a crank grinder easier than a LOBEas the shape is consistant but the variable is that the cut axis dips below the Zero point of the axis and the mat has has to invert.  

I cheat and use a special POST in sheetcam to do the path then use the Scale trick to cut the lobes also each lobe path loop  alternates with another to help keep heat out of the lobe. AND it generates a HUGE Gcode file. AN eight cylinder cam will generate well over a MILLION lines of code in mach3.

Been there done that one already(;-)  , (;-) TP
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:51:36 PM by BR549 »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
Oh man, this is getting good.   ;D   Good job fellows!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
OK no one needs any wizards so I will close that book and move on to another project(;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
Hey hope you're still there.
I don't especially need any new wizards, but I'd sure like the present ones to work in a better way.
I get the impression that many wizards were written by folks owning expensive VMCs with absolutely no backlash.
In many cases the sequence of cuts has the cutting force pushing an axis in the same direction that it is being advanced by the software. This is just plain crappy machining practice.
An example is turning an internal taper. That wizard starts the cuts from what will be the large end of the taper, and proceeds to the minor diameter of the taper. The cutting force is pushing the tool toward X0, and the software is doing the same.
Milling a slot, should in my opinion, start in the middle and work out to both sides. If the size is a bit small you can adjust the tool diameter and do a start from here near the end of the script.
If you are interested in rewriting them, I'll spend some time searching out those I think might be improved.
Ozzie
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
AND,
The is another idea that I've played with but haven't brought to completion.
I want to take flat engraving code, and cut it on a cylinder. There are converters out there, but as far as I know none of them can handle G02 or G03 moves. And some of German Bravo's engraving code is written using G02/G03.
So, my idea is to have a page in my screenset devoted to doing just that. When I go to that page a brain would do a swap axis; Y to A, (or is it B?). Then there would be a DRO labeled Diameter, which would actually be the basis of a scaling factor for the Y axis, now actually the rotary axis.
Then code executed from that page would engrave in the correct proportion on the set diameter workpiece.
Switching to any other page would un-swap the axis via the brain.
I had this half done and lost the work in an HD crash. I'd be happy for someone else to implement it.
What think?
Ozzie

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »
Adding backlash comp in wizards is WELL beyond the scope of a wizard (;-)

You cannot cut an arc outside of the xyz planes MACH3 cannot do it. So everything has to be converted to line segments to cut arcs in the A axis.

Most modern controllers can do that on the fly. They convert the code from say Y to A on the fly. You just have to define the radius of the part in A axis.

Most cams can do that as well.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »
Also the wizards copyright rights belong to the specific authors of the work.  Modifying them without permission would be really bad form.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
Re: Any new WIZARD ideas to work on ??? Work of others
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
We already have cases of wizards doing work similar to other wizards, so I fail to see that as much of a barrier.
If you posted a wiz that turned an internal taper from the small end of the taper to the large, that would certainly be new; we don't have that now.
The same with external taper turning, the present wiz cuts right to left, pulling the tool from the work as it progresses to the larger diameter.
If no one else does it, I'll struggle through it eventually; just that it will be like daily root canal, whereas those more cerebral than I might actually enjoy doing it
Ozzie
Re: Any new WIZARD ideas to work on ??? RE ARCS
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Suppose I just swapped cables; rotary cables where Y cables were plugged in? Mach would not know, I'd keep it a secret.
What would happen then?
I've been told that Swapaxis is the same as changing the cables? Is that correct?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »
Here is your chance to be a WIZARD writer. I guess you have noticed there are FEW of them (Writers).

With any of the free ones you can look at the code and modify as needed. (;-)

(;-) TP