Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 08:45:53 AM

Author Topic: Laptop with parallel Port  (Read 6431 times)

Re: Laptop with parallel Port
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, I will copy this info and test it out on my table top power supply.
It is supposed to get into the 90's this next week. Loved the cool weather while it lasted!
Re: Laptop with parallel Port
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
I did some research on that solid state relay and am glad I did. It is a Crydom D1225 (Brand name) relay and I did as you said, applied 5V dc and it shows about 2.4 m amps draw. I though, OK cool. I then decided to research further and if you put say just a light bulb in Series on the output it will work fine, but if you are going to put a inductive load in series like a motor or another coil type relay you need to put a "Freewheeling" diode across the motor windings or coil to stop the CEMF field collapsing and shorting out the SCR in the solid state relay. Now I got to find a "Freewheeling" diode. The research never ends. I learn something new every day and happy that I can.
Anyways I did get the IBM laptop up and running and it does run the CNC software and the CNC machine just fine. I know Artsoft says the minimum is 1 Ghz and 512 ram. It is working fine with a 900 Mhz processor. I had to McGiver the parallel cable as the BOB and the laptop both have female connectors and most parallel cables have a male connector on one end and female on the other end. Another trip to Goodwill should do it for that part. The Goodwill's here in Phoenix have tons of cables and power supplies and electronics in general. No computers tho. They will not sell them due to the hard drive may have data on them.