Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:35:00 AM

Author Topic: Turning off the display  (Read 4454 times)

Turning off the display
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
I found that turning off the display using the button on the diagnostics page relieved a number of problems I've been having but when I restart mach I have to set it again, is there something I can do to make it stick?

John

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Turning off the display
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
Hi, John,

If you're using onboard graphics, some have reported problems as well. When they switched to a simple add on video card, it made all the difference for them. With that said, it's a matter of trial and error in most cases as nothing is really cast in stone.

I have a an older Dell with onboard graphics and had some "slowing" issues. I put an an older ATI video card (32 meg Rage graphics I believe?) in and it fixed it perfectly.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
I think this old desktop has an external video card with minimal ram onboard, but the motherboard will only accept up to 500 megs of ram, so when I load a gcode file with half a million lines, it takes forever to load, and it causes eratic behavior, if I turn off the tool path display its just fine, but I keep forgetting to turn it of until I've already started loading the gcode, so was hoping there was a way to make it stay off.

John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
I thought it did stick, but I just checked here, and your right, it does stay on. You could make a macro (M code) that turns it off, and call it in the Initialization string, to turn it off every time you start Mach3.

DoOemButton(132) will turn it off.
(It will also turn it on if it's already off)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
I thought it did stick, but I just checked here, and your right, it does stay on. You could make a macro (M code) that turns it off, and call it in the Initialization string, to turn it off every time you start Mach3.

DoOemButton(132) will turn it off.
(It will also turn it on if it's already off)
Thank you, I found that the led for the toolpath is #27, so I guess the macro would need to check that led and if its active call the dooembutton routine.

My first attempt went like this;

if oemled(27) then dooembutton(132)

of course the scripter puked with the comment formatting error.  I have tried looking thru the installed macros for examples but failed miserably. 
I also tried searching with little to no results that dealt with this issue.
Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
If GetOEMLED(27) then
DoOemButton(132)
End If
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Thank you ger21!!

John
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
Just to update this thread in case someone else finds it of use.

I used ger's macro, cut an pasted it into the vb script editor and saved as M101.m1s

the I added "M101" without the quotes to my initialization string under
"config"/"general config" , I also checked the box for use init string for all resets.(this is a personal choice, your mmv)

problem fixed, however if you want to turn it on for a specific part simply click the toolpath on/off  button on the diagnostics page.

Hope this helps someone else.

John