Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:48:27 AM

Author Topic: Microsteps - can less be more or is more always, well, more?  (Read 4817 times)

Microsteps - can less be more or is more always, well, more?
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »
I'm looking to drive a 10mm pitch ballscrew directly with my 750w servo motor, which is run as a stepper. I have two of these to drive my x and y axes on my mill conversion. For stepping I have options of 200, 400, 500, 1000 steps per rev and 10x microstepping. Clearly, 10k microsteps gives a resolution of 0.001mm per step which is miles finer than this old chinese mill can manage anyway, but it does sound nice and smooth when travelling slow whereas 2000 step/rev which gives me a resolution of 0.01mm/step seems more sensible and gives me faster rapids but it hums quite loudly when moving at slow speeds.

What would you do in my situation?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Microsteps - can less be more or is more always, well, more?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
If the steps per can be divided equally into your desired resolution is the first thing I would shoot for (with in reason).   Sounds like your fine there.  I like them as smooth as possible but if it is slowing you down too much at the finer res. you may want to run it at fewer steps per.  I think in your case you would be fine either way but that's totally up to you.  If the noise and coarser resolution are a fair trade to you for the speed you should be fine. 

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
Ok that's great - thanks for the reply. I last tested it on 5000steps/rev and it gave me a max speed of 3m/min on motor tuning, which gives me 6 seconds end-to-end on the x-axis. I'll hook up another axis and see if that changes.

Pete.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
10 microsteps in optimal.  Anything more doesn't gain you anything in terms of resolution.  Here is a good explanation.....

http://www.geckodrive.com/support/step-motor-basics/accuracy-and-resolution.html
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
Hmm, interesting read. These are not ordinary drives and motors though, they are industrial drives that do up to 1000 normal steps per revolution.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
Interesting, never heard of using a servo as a stepper before.
Few questions, why would you want to use a servo as a stepper and not as a servo?
Do you have a link to the drives you are using?

Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »
Sure, this is what I am using for x and y axis control, and I'm hoping to get a third one for Z.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:25:24 PM by Peter. »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
Ok seems they are steppers, or according to Berger Lahr anyway.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »
Having a quick look at the manual and they are weird beasts, kind of cross between stepper and servo from first glance.
I would say  your higher res will give you better results but as you have found lower rapids. That is unless you go to an external controller such as SmoothStepper, CSMIOIP-S or amy of the others that are capable of pulsing up to 4MHz.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
Sounds like the hybrid system Automation Technology (Keling) is selling now.  Basically a stepper with encoder feedback.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/nema34-closed-loop-stepper-motor-system-hybrid-servo-kit