Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:37:15 AM

Author Topic: 2nd Parallel port with all pins at 5v ?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
2nd Parallel port with all pins at 5v ?
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a Sweex PU005 parallel port card for my PC to give me a 2nd set of IO's
Whilst I installed it in the PC I never got round to using it as I had plenty of capacity on LPT1.
Now that I have run out of space on LPT1 I started connecting to it and have found, curiously, that all signal pins, except Pin 17 (?) measure 5v to the ground pins. It doesn't matter if I have pins 2-9 set as inputs the results are the same.
I have changed the port address to dff0 as per the View by Resource field in Device Manager but nothing changes, or is there a way to automatically find the correct adddress?

Any ideas?

thanks ...Sweep

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
Re: 2nd Parallel port with all pins at 5v ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
Seems a bit odd answering my own question, but this is how I solved it.
I tried the card in another PCI slot on the same PC and another PC and still all pins were measured at 5V.
As i was using this card as the 2nd LPT and mainly inputs it was difficult to get any response as feeding 5v to a pin that had 5v did nothing.
As a last resort I swapped the addresses of LPT1 & 2 which allowed me to 'push' data from the computer out of the card instead of looking for inputs. With the change of address it now meant that this new card was feeding output signals to all 3 axis for step & direction.
It seems that this 'push' of information got everything aligned internally (?) to where it should have been and the thing now works perfectly.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
I find that when you set the 2nd port up it's always high on all pins until you reboot, not sure if that'll help in the future.

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Tried that at least twice as I couldn't get it sorted the same day so definitely restarted the following day and, I'm sure, rebooted as a matter of course when I fitted the thing.
Anyway, one more question answered so I'll move on to the next!

Thanks ...Sweep
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »
I had one not work in the pci bay next to the graphics card, so i always put it in the last port.