Hello Guest it is May 10, 2024, 10:34:56 PM

Author Topic: A few of my projects..  (Read 13052 times)

Re: A few of my projects..
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
Thanks.

Hopefully they will be in the correct order.

Cheers..

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
Next..

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
Next.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
Next
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
And Lastly...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
Interesting pictures there S/S.  Like Ricky Ricardo once said: "Lucy, joo got some splainin' to doo." ;D

Please tell us what all you got goin' on there.  A picture's worth a thousand words and all but some descriptive words here & there would help (me at least).  'Specially the lathe...I'm in a 'tinker with a CNC lathe' mode lately.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
Interesting pictures there S/S.  Like Ricky Ricardo once said: "Lucy, joo got some splainin' to doo." ;D
Well I like to tinker as well, my current "interest" is modifying CV style motorbike carbs to fit onto cars. There are a lot of fiddly parts that need to be made and that is why I originally bought the lathe, but I found out after I purchased it that the ways and screws were all but fubar.

After I (or actually my brother) started the retrofit, my boss informed me that he needed some unique "springs" made but was unable to find anyone willing to take on the task because the springs had to be made from 0.5mm stainless steel wire and be very accurate.

That's when I had the idea of the "wire bender" attachment and indexing the head of my lathe, to be able to make these springs. In the programming world it's called "Feature Creep"  :'(  ..

Anyway, back to the lathe "so far"..

The cog closest to the headstock is to run the encoder and is grub screwed to the main shaft but the other cog has 2 bearings inside it and a thrust bearing running up against the V-pulley.

There are 2 grub screws that are removed when I'm not indexing the head.

Both indexing steppers go through a 100:1 harmonic drive but the on on the headstock has a further 3.75:1 belt drive reduction.

The original cross slide would have required a fair bit of modification to fit so my brother fabricated the "new" one.

Apart from that, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Talking of Feature Creep...

The next "Feature" will be a 2 axis (linear and rotary), live tooling attachment for the cross slide, but only if I get bored and actually finish designing it.

Hope this muddied the waters further..  :D

Cheers.
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
The next "Feature" will be a 2 axis (linear and rotary), live tooling attachment for the cross slide, but only if I get bored and actually finish designing it.
Funny, I'm working on a live spindle for my ORAC as we speak.  Got most of the parts already but am waiting for couple more ebay items to arrive.  It's gonna be pretty small; an ER16/10mm straight shank collet chuck as the spindle, couple of small sealed A/C bearings, belt drive 24VDC Pittman motor, 36V KBIC-120 DC speed control, 5/16" ballscrew and a belt drive NEMA23 stepper motor.

It'll be mounted on an old Craftsman 6" lathe compound mounted vertically to an extended tooling plate on the carriage.  I have a use for it making a part that requires a milling cut across a turned part, change to a drill, dropping down a bit and drilling a .090" hole on center.  It'll also have a crude indexing plate/manual lock on the spindle to lock it down while those ops are being performed.  That's the way I see it now anyway.  "Think-building" is always so easy!:)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
"Think-building" is always so easy!:)
Too true...

I haven't had a lot tof time to play recently but I decided to "level the bed of the router because there were visible discrepancies in the bed.

1mm down and still not close to flat.

1.5mm down and getting closer.

Haven't finished the final pass but I ended up having to remove 1.8mm to get a level surface.

You have to wonder how they can sleep at night selling a piece of machinery that is soo far out of true...

PS: the links should now work properly.. :)

Cheers.

Offline rasta

•  32 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
gee I grow my CNC teeth on  serial n 1 of that type of machine , no automatic tool changer tho, after a couple of years the controller went south
and they replaced the brains with a Fanuc OM 10 controller, it worked very well
check for worn out ball screws