Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:50:16 AM

Author Topic: Can read THC input signals but spindle doesn't move  (Read 14034 times)

Can read THC input signals but spindle doesn't move
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Hello,

I'm using a plasma CNC since 2-3 years and would like to add it a THC. Connection seems fine but have a problems with mach3 that I can not understand.

First I'm using the "test mode" of my THC. (command up and down for 1sec each to move the spindle)

During the test I can see on the THC the commands UP/DOWN.
I receive the signal in MACH3 but my spindle does not move.

Anyone has already face this problem? and solved it :)

There is also some of my configurations:
Plasma              :  hypertherm powermax 85
THC                  :  compact THC controller from PROMA elektronika
Motor command : Box CNC-shop with board TB6560
A SmoothStepper to convert USB to parallel port

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:18:55 PM by Garf »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Can read THC input signals but spindle doesn't move
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »
I am not sure that the Smooth stepper even supports  THC ? May want to check with Greg at Warp9 for the answer.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »
I have a similar setup and a Proma THC Controller. I wasn't going to wire it in but I decided to run the test and see if there was some kind of problem with using it. Took a bit of doing but I was able to get it to work and my z axis moved up and down just like it was supposed to. I followed the Proma guide for Mach 3 except for the in signals. I tried pins 10 and 11 as in their example, but there was a conflict. I ended up using pins 10 and 13. I can only speculate that pin 11 is inverted in a parallel port and that confused the setup.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:25 AM »
Ok, I'll try it. Hope I can have the same result than at your side.

Do you also use a smoother stepper or ou have a direct connection through parallel port?
I asked the support of Warp9 directly to know if the problem can be linked to the smoother stepper.

Thank you both for your support.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »
I am using a run of the mill parallel port. It's an older computer that has been consigned to the exclusive task of CNC control and had a port already available. I looked at the smooth stepper, looks like a great product. Just from my uneducated point of view I can't see a reason it wouldn't work. There IS one difference between your initial test and mine that I observed. Initially, my Z axis started moving up but not down. I finally figured out it was the conflict I mentioned. The point being I always had some kind of movement. You said you are seeing the signals in the Mach3 Diagnostics. If you are getting signals, I think SOMETHING should happen. I assume you enabled THC UP and THC Down in the Pins and Ports. Can you jog the Z axis from the keyboard? It sounds like a problem in Mach3.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »
When I use the system without the THC, I can control X,Y,Z axis manually with my computer keyboard.

I tried to disable inputs linked to the THC in mach3 config and I don't see anymore the yellow square changing in mach3 (seems normal). When I configure THC inputs the signals thc up/ thc down come to mach3 as you can see on first picture (seems normal). And nothing happen :'(

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
Very Strange. If you have an e-mail address I can send you a copy of my XML file. It probably won't work on your setup but you can at least look at it and compare it to your setup.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
check your personnal message ;)

Yes for me it is very strange too.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
Garf
   Any luck solving that problem? I'm just curious what was causing the issue.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
I found an old computer with parallel port and connects directly my SmoothStepper and it works.

The problem comes from the USB to parallel converter that was between my computer and the SmoothStepper.

I'll try another converter if I find some time.

Thank you for your help bad_bunny!
Garf