Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:28:33 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 upgrade from R3.033 to 3.043.022 stops communication to MAXNC controller  (Read 10732 times)

I have used R3.033 for years, but have never sucessfully gotten that version to address backlash.  I have some tasks where I must compensate.  I have downloaded and installed v 3.043.022.  But, when doing that, the new version will not communicate with the controller (MaxNC 15 CL).  That is, no power to the steppers for holding, and the normal "clunk" on reset does not occur.  Can't move any axis.

And, the older version of Mach3 3.033 no longer works.  I have to re-install to get the old system functioning again.

It appears to me, browsing the internet, the newer version will handle backlash.  Can I get some help on this?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Check your configuration as that was probably overwritten when you installed the new version.
RICH
The older Mach3 installs in a sub-directory named MaxIII.  The newer one installs in Mach3.  The question I have is why is the new install not working?  I even tried the new install on a reformatted drive.  I am assuming a lowlevel sys file is getting hammered.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Run the DriverTest.exe file for the new install ( will find it in mach3 directory) which installs the driver. I think it's using the driver from the original installation.
Let us know how things go.
RICH
Sorry for the delay.  No, DriverTest.exe does not correct the issue.  Started out with a working R30.33, installed 3.043.022, Install reported sucsessful driver installation, drivertest.exe reported excellent on timing, then no communications to board.  Older version also now could not communicate to board.  Uninstalled both, reinstalled R3.033 from the CD, and it works again.  Is there a later build I might try?  Perhaps a corruption in my downloaded version of 3.043.022?  Also, I have tried cleaining out 3.033 (making sure Mach3.sys is gone from /system32/drivers and Mach3pulser is uninstalled in devices) and just installing 3043.022 with the same results.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Know nothing about the MaxNC 15 CL controller. Can you post info on The controller so some one can have a look?
RICH
Hmm, I will look about.  It never was heavily documented.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Have a look at your configuration, ports & pins as there is a MaxCn mode. May want to have a look in the Mach Manual about it's use.
Sorry, just not familar with it. Someone else may chime in or you can contact MaxCN.
RICH
Rich,

That is a good thought.  I guess I can look at those settings in the working Mach3 and make sure the new version retains those.  They are the default settings in the install - I have never had to make any changes.

I was also thinking of installing the newer version into the same directory as the working version.  Recall, the original Mach3 went into MaxIII sub-directory.

Also, in case whatever download I pulled has issues, I have downloaded the .043.062 development version to see how that behaves.  I'll report back on all this tomorrow AM.

Thanks for sticking with me on this!

Jeff
OK,  So this is how I made it work.

I made sure the original version installed in \MaxIII worked.  I then downloaded and installed .043.062 into the MaxIII folder and not into the suggested folder Mach3.

Then, when I started the executable, it offered me both the new and old profiles.  I selected the old profile and it ran!  So then, once that worked, I took all the settings from the old profile and changed the default new milll profile to the older profile settings - and happily, it works!

As well, the backlash routine now works and does an excellent job.  I again can hold less than a thousandth on a G3 circular cut.

Thanks for sticking with me!