Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:56:55 AM

Author Topic: Cable connecting DROs to PC  (Read 3318 times)

Cable connecting DROs to PC
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »
Hello,

Almost all of the small digital Verniers and DROs comming from China these days have a little data slot on them, where one can connect a
serial cable and in this way communicate between the measuring device and a Personal Computer. Now.... in the last five years I have
been looking for a seller of these cables, (especially the cables to the verniers)  but no one seem to have them for sale.....
Do you know where one can buy them........  ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:48:52 PM by Gropper »
Software in use :

Mach3
Cambam
Cutviewer

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
Re: Cable connecting DROs to PC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
I have not seen such things for sale, however I have poked around at my little cheapie digital caliper, and found you can interface the data signal using a basic stamp, propeller chip, or arduino, and these can interface with a PC. It may not be a clean and polished solution though. One thing to note: as far as I know, if you intend to somehow use that data with mach3, you can only send serial data from within mach3, not receive. If this is not true, I'd love to be corrected.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 07:37:29 AM »
Hi Zaaephod :

I once saw a German guy selling such a 5 line display able to show 5 axes
but the price tag was totally unacceptable to me at the time, ( more than $ 300 )
but one could interface all the no name verniers or most of them. No I don’t plan
to import the data into Mach3, but it would be great to have such a gizmo for the
various occasions where I do manual work on my mill. I have a couple of Arduino Nano
somewhere, did you se a layout on how to interface those Chinese no name verniers
on the Arduino website ?   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:42:43 AM by Gropper »
Software in use :

Mach3
Cambam
Cutviewer

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »
Not for the arduino specifically, I was working with a propeller, but if you're familiar with the arduino platform, the links below should point you in the right direction.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reading-Digital-Callipers-with-an-Arduino-USB/
http://robocombo.blogspot.com/2010/12/using-tis-launchpad-to-interface.html

Also, parallax makes some really nice lcd screens that are super easy to interface using a propeller. There may be something like this for arduino as well.
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Displays/tabid/159/List/0/ProductID/51/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Hope this helps :)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
Really great link.... Thanks 
Software in use :

Mach3
Cambam
Cutviewer