Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:08:30 AM

Author Topic: More toolholders than space in the ATC carousel  (Read 7781 times)

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
Re: More toolholders than space in the ATC carousel
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 06:24:21 AM »
Hi All,

Just got back home after a week away in Cornwall where I only had infrequent access to a computer so my appologies for not really contributing to the thread I started.

I will most likely be using a CAM program as I have one available so all my tools will be set up within this with lengths, offsets, speeds etc. As I have not yet used the CAM program I am just having a play with it to see how it presents the information about the tools used as, if I am using the DRO as suggested by cncalex, I will need to see which tools are being called for on each program, hopefully, without having to read through several hundred lines of Gcode.
When you guys start taking about 'modulus commands' I am out of my depth and I have never written VB or any other type of code.
With the Denford toolchanger I have figured out that it requires strings of code sent from the PC to the toolchanger, via 9pin serial, to initiate the tooll change cycle. Even though there are various return strings, to PC, during the change cycle these have no effect on the cycle completeing sucessfully. The toolchanger also has a couple of relays installed; one is only actauated if a faulty code is recieved, whilst the othere opens and closes at various points during the cycle. I am sure these will be useful to integrate at somepoint with my Mach3 inputs.  

The other thing is that at the start of the tool change cycle the spindle drive dogs have to be pretty much aligned with the position of the matching slots in the tools held in the carousel. I do have a spindle speed monitoring proximity switch which works perfectly and I would like to use the input from this to switch off the spindle drive as it passes. That way at the beginning of the change I can instruct a very slow speed, say, S60 and as the spindle passes the proximity switch stop the spindle without too much run-on from inertia. I may need to adjust the position switch to trim theh stop position but that would be easy enough.
I have attached a copy of the logic that relates to the tool change. The Gn & Y is the action of the relays but as I did this logic before I stripped out the old Denford motherboard it is showing the voltage, not the open/closed I see now. There is another set of logic that applies to machine set up, to datum the carousel and decide which tool is installed at start up, but this is something that should probably be added to the machine datum sequence.

I will have a play with the CAM and let you know how it instructs the operator which tools to load.

thanks ...Sweep

Offline Hal

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 07:39:50 AM »
The CAM is an easy fix. Keep T6 open.
M6 T6
M00
(load T15 from rack) COMMENT INPUT
S1200 m3
G54 G00 X1 Y1.
G43 H15 Z.2
The CAM should allow for Tool number to be inputted. In what I use this will also be the length and cutter com numbers.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »
i have working macros for the triac atc 6 and 8 station.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:27:59 AM by angel tech »
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
The basic procedure for the triac is:

1 Slow spindle to x rpm and look for spindle sensor then stop
2 home axis
3 set z to toolchange height
4 carousel in
5 see carousel in switch
6 release tool clamp
7 down carousel
8 see carousel down switch
9 rotate carousel to tool position
10 see carousel tool position switch
11 carousel up
12 see carousel up switch
13 clamp tool
14 carousel out
15 see carousel out switch
end
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
oops hit the wrong button

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
Back from more holidays and the distraction of having to fit a new door before the onset of winter ...or before summer gets any more miserable :(

I can see this part of the rebuild is going to be a nightmare for me as I have zero understanding of computer language.
The Denford ATC self contained panel is intact and I can send strings of text from Hyperterminal and the ATC does exactly as requested, e.g by sending B0000133E:?7R25 down the serial port from the PC the ATC will replace whatever tool is installed with Tool 2 etc.
I suppose my first few questions are:
1. How do i send this string of text (B0000133E:?7R25) down the serial port? If I can establish that this can be done and watch the tool change it will give me confidence to continue.
2. How do I edit the home axis button to include the sending of ATC axis code down the serial port. When you press the Home All Axis button I want it first to send B0000133E167R25 to the ATC which ensures that there is an air supply present, home z, x, and y, and then, once they are home, send D44 to the ATC which homes the carousel to Tool 1 position.
I wont ask anymore at present as too many answers will only overwelm me!

thanks ...Sweep