Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:55:25 AM

Author Topic: Optical Switch Not Recognized - How to Remedy?  (Read 2364 times)

Optical Switch Not Recognized - How to Remedy?
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
I want to replace my mechanical home switch with an optical switch - the mechanical switch isn't accurate or repeatable enough.  My problem is that Mach3 isn't recognizing the switch.

In the first picture, you can see that with the switch open, I get ~5 volts between ground and signal.

In the second picture, you can see that the voltage goes to 0 when the switch is closed.

In the meantime, on the diagnostics screen in Mach3, nothing is detected.

So then I decided to see what was going on between the signal lead (orange) and ground.

In the third picture, you can see that I get about 11.46V when the switch is open and then in the fourth picture the voltage drops to only 11.36V.

Finally, you can see the layout of my 5V supply.  A conversion module comes off the 48V power supply.

There is no ground pin on the conversion module, so I am presuming that it grounds through the negative terminal back to the power supply.

My guess is that I have some voltage leak between ground and +48V.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gary
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:34:00 PM by GEBrown »
Re: Optical Switch Not Recognized - How to Remedy?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »
Here's the last picture with my power supply setup.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Optical Switch Not Recognized - How to Remedy?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »
Hi Gary,

My guess would be that the output from your 5 Volt conversion module is floating (with respect to GND) and that you need to provide a ground connection at your optical sensor.

Tweakie.
PEACE