Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:49:10 AM

Author Topic: tangential knife machine needing macro for actuating a pen  (Read 4190 times)

tangential knife machine needing macro for actuating a pen
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:49 AM »
Hi
I have been making a Tangential cutter and it is working well at last. Have had some trouble with jerking around curves but overcome that, thank goodness.
I am using the Z axis for a pneumatic cylinder for working the rotary cutter and it is activated by the direction pin on/off. works like a dream. Cuts square corners and also very good small curves.

As I need to have part numbers on the parts I am cutting I have set up a pen and again it is to be actuated with another pneumatic cylinder.  
The center of the pen holder is offset both in the X axis (113 mm)and Y axis (23 mm).

My thoughts for the part No' procedure is to use layers in the dxf program and then in my post processor (CamBam) have two sections of the gcode.
I would firstly apply the part numbers and then change over to the cutting knife.

Should work I hope but I need some assistance or thoughts on how to set up this second pneumatic cylinder and how to offset the center.

The change -over of the solenoids from one Cylinder to the other I thought I could use a relay to switch the circuit.

I have thought that maybe a macro would be the best way to go.

My circuitry consists of a smooth stepper and 2  C 10's so I have few extra inputs and outputs I can use.

I also have fitted a industrial joy stick with 8 push buttons and I use this for jogging around the 6 M by 2 M table etc.

Can someone help me with a macro that I could use, if this the best way to go.

BTW would anyone be interested in how I overcame the jerkng around the curves ??

Many thanks in advance

ET  

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: tangential knife machine needing macro for actuating a pen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:01:54 AM »
Could you not simply use the Dir output of another axis for the pen solenoid?
Using a G52 temporary offset may do what want for the pen.

And yes please do give info on how you solved the jerk issue as I am sure it will help others in the future if they suffer the same problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:44:18 AM »
Thanks Hood

I thought you may be on deck and get an answer to me pretty quick.
have just set up Dir output for B axis using outputs on one of the C10 and saved and restarted Mach3.
I however cannot see the B axis on the screen. I have X Y Z and 4 Axis but no 5 axis. Should there be one for this new axis. I would need to be able to button jog it.

Could you please explain how I would  set up G52 temporary offset or point to where i can find an explanation.

I will work on the jerk issue and post it as soon as i get this final problem sorted.

Thanks and the machine is only 10 feet away.

Cheers
ET

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »
You would need to add the DRO etc to a screenset if you wanted it to show, there are a few 6 axis screensets available if you dont want to do it yourself, atleast one of which should be on the screenset download page.
Not sure if they have jog buttons for jogging all axis or not but if not you could add them with a screen designer.

If you have a button on the main page of Mach that says G Code click it and you will get a description of the G52, If you dont then look in the Mach folder and open the Mach3MillGcode.htm.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »
I think I should be able to add another DRO to a screen set, will have a go tomorrow, have already set up the 5 axis, thanks

Still would like to know if a macro would be the easiest way to go.
Once this machine is up and running, the people who will be operating it may not have the expertise to sort out the use of mach 3.
If I can get a macro which will tell mach 3 to use the marking pen first and the change over to the tangentail knife  I thought that it would be the simplist method to use.

Cambam could be set up to add a header in all the programs that have two layers in the DXF files.

I think I could manage to do that but I want a starter Macro which I can adapt to suit.

will try to work thru the offset also

I've read the descriptionof G52 etc but still cannot work out what to do.
I have no experience in lathe , milling work.

re the macro what my old mind is saying
Firstly if there are two layers the add M2 ??????

The M2 ????? could  say
if ????? then
 disable direction pin no  (Tangential rotary knife pneumatic solonid )
 enable direction pin no  (Pen pneumatic solonoid)

If not then enable  etc
 am I missing an easier way to achieve what I want to do ?.

ET
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
ET to ET
In response to your last post:-
Yes you were missing the easy way.
You also are the second "S" in the well known simplistic saying.
WHY NOT use the M8 and M9 already there and use a spare output to turn a dedicated relay on and off.
You don't use any mist or coolant
Should work !!!!

Will battle with the offset and then post the jerking

ET