Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:33:48 AM

Author Topic: E-Stop Settings  (Read 11803 times)

Offline rs232

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Re: E-Stop Settings
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi everybody
I'm new here but I want to help and off course be helped.
About your grounding set up:
Yes, common practice to connect earth wire (yellow/green) to the chassis of the machine.
Yes common practice to connect all earth wires to the same grounding point ( from motors or power supplies running from the mains)
Not common is connecting the negative wire to ground, it doesn't hurt but I never seen this done unless you put a small value resistor ( +/- 10 Ohms 5 or 10W ) to "lift" the ground.
Another thing is if you are using shielded cable for the steppers or limit/home switches connect only one side of the shied to ground.

Ok now for me
I'm testing a few things now that I started building my CNC mill and I run in some problems...
Yesterday I finally managed to get the motor to run (not perfect but ok for testing).
My problem now is/are the E-stop and limit switches, I tried everything and noting, no limits or E-stop.
I tried HI/LOW settings and different pins and nothing.
I know for a fact that the breakout board is working and putting out the correct voltage, the E-stop is connected to pin 15.
Any ideas ?

Ric

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 08:02:28 PM »
I would say most likely you have the wires not connected to the right pins

Also in some breakout boards, the ground for the limits / Estop is separate from the ground of other inputs

Did you try the Mach3 automated setup of inputs?
Nicolas

Offline rs232

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 06:12:44 AM »
Hi Kolias
I will have to check that but I'm pretty sure the ground is common all around the breakout board.
I did try he automated setup but it didn't work.
My test setup is pretty cheap, 1 300VA toroid for the power supply, 1 2M542 stepper driver and a Chinese breakout board from the same manufacture that build the crap TB6560 motor driver (www.hyu68.com).
I repaired the breakout board and now is working fine(?)
Cheap stuff for testing before I start spending some money.

Ric

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
........... and a Chinese breakout board from the same manufacture that build the crap TB6560 motor driver (www.hyu68.com).
I repaired the breakout board and now is working fine(?)
Cheap stuff for testing before I start spending some money.
Ric

Right away I would say that's your Chinese board at fault. When I started my 1st CNC about 6 years ago, I also bought a similar 4 axes board which I still have UNUSED because I was never able to figure out the pins ($100 down the drain). Unless you are an expert on electronics I will suggest to get another board.

There is an extensive thread at another CNC forum about the TB6560 but even that was not able to help me with mine and gave up
Nicolas

Offline rs232

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
Well I don't have a TB6560 board.
The breakout board is from the same manufacturer and like I mentioned before I fixed it and found out all the pin out (inputs and output).
I not for a fact that the board is working because I tested all of the pin one by one.
The input pins put out a LOW level signal (a few mV) on pins 10/11/12/13/15 and a HI level (4.99V) wen I press any of the limit switches or the E-stop.
The problem most be somewhere else and probably is some sort of configuration.
Going to have a look see on the tutorials

Ric
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:40:21 AM by rs232 »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Since the board is working the problem may lay on Mach configuration. I found the manual pretty good and if you follow step by step it may resolve your problem.
Nicolas

Offline rs232

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Will give it a rest for now while I build the machine (build from scratch from the remains from a scraped EDM machine).
Will give it another go when I get a working "Y" axis so I can do a proper test.

Ric