Tangent Corner > Polls

Depth of cut strategy

(1/3) > >>

Ron Ginger:
I am working on the Newfangled wizards for Mach4. I have some mixed views from the early testers about the preferred depth of cut strategy.

The user will enter a total depth of cut and a step cut amount.
 If the values result in an integer number of cuts use them- for example if the request is for .5 total cut and cuts of .1 then 5 steps of .1 will be used.

The problem is if the values don't make an integer number of cuts- for example, request .5 total in steps of .2.

Option 1) use the requested values and let the last cut be smaller- in the example make 2 cuts of .2 then the last cut of .1

Option 2) calculate a value so that all the cuts are the same, but less than the requested increment.

Brian Barker:
Best would be to do it in one pass ;)

Hood:
As you know Ron my preference is as requested by the operator  rather than the code thinking its smarter. It may well be sometimes but being a human I prefer to have the final say on things ;)
One reason is I often profile shapes out of sheet material so say its 10mm thick I would likely programme to have a DOC of say 4.75mm which would leave a final of 0.5mm, this is handy for me, for example the last pass being 0.5mm means when the cutter comes round to fully cut the profile there is not a large "pip" left on the part and I dont have to resort to the grinder to remove it. Also the part is not so likely to violently swing round at breakthrough thus avoiding damage to the cutter, its not always easy to clamp for such situations and the part is either left to go free or gets held by hand..

Hood

mr.c:
Option one.

Hood:

--- Quote from: mr.c on August 31, 2012, 10:40:13 AM ---Option one.

--- End quote ---

Please click on it to register your vote :)
Hood

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version