Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:46:35 PM

Author Topic: Possible new project pending feedback on LazyCam software  (Read 9695 times)

Possible new project pending feedback on LazyCam software
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
Hello All,

It's been a while since my last post... My business partner is looking at building a CNC Mill (see picture) and the only hold up for him is if we can easily use
LazyCam to import DXF files to do 2D profiles and holes. I imported a simple DXF of a profiled plate with some drilled holes but that's about as far as I got.

He seems unconvinced that it is going to be easy to learn, I have a demo version linked to our licenced version of Mach 3 but find it to be not so user friendly and in demo mode unable to post results to show him.

If I can't convince him to use Mach 3 with LazyCam is there an easier to use software with a built in post processor that can be cheaply purchased? Some input from LazyCam user would be helpful or if you are using something different I would like to here about that also.

Our budget for the machine is around $10K (includes a 6K package for controls/motors/boards etc) the table is 3'x4' with a custom 110V spindle.

He says he does not want to waste too much time at a terminal to fix up files to get them to run properly or else it would be easier to use a conventional mill...

Any input on the learning curve with LazyCam would be appreciated.
Re: Possible new project pending feedback on LazyCam software
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Take a look at SheetCAM, MeshCAM, and CamBam.  Which one is best depends on how you work, and what you need to do.  All are inexpensive, well-supported, and light-years better, and more stable, than LazyCAM.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
Id tell him to turn the control box around. Opening from the inside of the base will be a PITA to access.  Lot easier to sit on the outside looking in. And i would move the stepper motor to the other side closer to the controls. Bigger feet and some cross angle supports. Depending on the Cad program he is using will determine the CAM package. Dolphin Cam has some great deals for the Hobby guys. not the latest software (version 11) but version 10 does more than most will ever need.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »
There is  a manual for LazyCam in Members Doc's. LC is what it is and the developement stopped a long time ago.
Yes it is easy to use,quick if you can provide a good dxf for import to it, but it has it's limitations and more for hobbiest use.

Your in buisness and you will probably grow out LC  and echo what Ray posted. There are others that should be considered.
So you need to think not only about today but the future.
No matter what software you choose you will have a learning curve. 

Your software investment is just as important as your machine investment so budget for appropriately.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
I model in Catia V5 and SolidWorks so I have that covered...

We have already built a previous NC machine for a customer using the same type of frame and components - it has been running limited production for about 2 years now.

We plan to mill aluminum, plastic, and wood, we only plans to drill steel plates - no milling steel because of vibrations (non cast base)

My previous programming was done on Catia because I already had that capability plus they were simple 2D point to point programs with less than 300 lines so I just manually edited them till they were correct.

I have the LazyCam operators manual but have not read it, I will try to see if I can use it but I already think it may get kicked to the curb.

Doing longer programs in 2.5 or 3D would be challenging using Catia so these other programs that you have suggested I have downloaded and I am going to evaluate them to see which one would suit our needs.

Thanks for the input.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
For basic 2D work, check out Vectric's Cut2D. You won't find anything easier to use.

You use $10,000 worth of CAD software, and have a $10,000 machine budget, but are looking for cheap software to make it all work together??
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
The software's I already had (old versions) and the machine is going to be built in stages so not all the $$ gone at once... I didn't say I was looking for cheap software but something like a MasterCam or SurfCam might not make sense for a home built machine especially in at an evaluation stage.

We have already used Mach3 on another machine so we thought it would be easier to get something simple that works with it.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
SheetCAM would work very well for this type of machine. I use it heavily, its solid and is well supported.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
take a look at D2NC a very good product for the price and no big learning curve has nesting of parts and you can setup 9 different operations at one time.

Dennis 

Offline Hal

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Can you edit the post for your CAM programs? What type of programming will your customer be writting. Buying software without all the options will end up costing you double.
I learnd the hard way at my job. Cheap softawre was upgraded until we neede a high end program. I am just saying look at the end game. If 2-1/2d is all that is neede the buy that level of program. If you think about true 3d and a 4th axis, get that level of software.

Hal