Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:27:26 AM

Author Topic: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course  (Read 562386 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course
« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
Here is another interesting design.   

http://www.edingcnc.com/index.php?pagina=detail_galerij&galerijid=46

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 10, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Yes a lot of them seemed to have the Bandits, not sure what was originally on the Matchmaker but it had a Heidenhain (think 155) on it when Mark bought it. That is actually what he bought it for as he has quite a few machines with that controller and he wanted spares. I was thinking of buying the Matchmaker from him as it is a solid machine, every bit as stout if not better than the Beaver I have but I really wanted a bedmill so decided against it.
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »
I found a pdf copy of the installation/user manual for the Dana/Summit tool changer on the Matchmaker, and all the wiring/programming examples are for a Bandit control. Plus it's all designed to pretty much bolt straight onto Shizuoka mills, right down to the LH spindle thread.
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
Guys,

Quick video of my toolchanger.  This is being manually sequenced, so it's kinda slow.  I used my pendant to trigger the PDB, had a manually operated pneumatic valve to operate the "lift", and a microswitch to turn on the Geneva motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSzfLZGH9Q

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 12, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
Ray, Very nice mechanism. Smooth and to the point , Great Job.

(;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 12, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
Ray, you mentioned having a pin and rod arrangement for align the tools and the spindle, IIRC. Is that on the to-do list or am I just not seeing it?

Nice job overall. Where did you get that swing arm actuator . . .  ;)
« Reply #296 on: October 12, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
Ray, you mentioned having a pin and rod arrangement for align the tools and the spindle, IIRC. Is that on the to-do list or am I just not seeing it?

Nice job overall. Where did you get that swing arm actuator . . .  ;)

Steve,

The alignment pin is half there - the pin is on the other side of the head.  The socket on the arm is not yet there - I just got the bushing today, so it's about an hours work to make the holder and mount it.  That will accomodate any minor "sag" that might occur on the arm and it's mount.

You weren't supposed to notice that actuator....  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 14, 2012, 07:58:56 AM »
Ray,

You better get a move on, buddy. You have been at this ATC project waaay longer than me so it will be  :-[  if I beat you to the punch.

I wrapped up some incidental loose end stuff; intelock pin and solenoid for the drawbar actuator, beefed up the interlock lever on the pod, etc, got the shafts made for the swing arm and the carousel, and ordered the steel to make the mounting brackets for everything . . . . . before putting the whole shebang on a shelf.

You're getting a 60 day window now to keep that tortoise moving while the hare is off on a rabbit trail doing other stuff. After that, I figure about a week and I'll be changing tools.

Contest rules: everything does not have to be powder coated or otherwise 'spiffy',  but the automatic tool change has to be . . well . .  automatic,  and under its own power. No manual operation and no  . .  uh . .  temporary actuators . . . 

However, other  . .  'favored contestants' will be allowed to demonstrate the completed ATC on a totally non functional mock up of the milling machine head . . .  because there is no actual mill yet . .  and because he is making the rules.  ;D

Contest winner is responsible for any and all federal, state and local taxes on prizes, which may include a case of the contestant's favorite beer  . .  and bragging rights.

Tick, tick, tick . . . . 

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 14, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »
Here is another interesting design. 
http://www.edingcnc.com/index.php?pagina=detail_galerij&galerijid=46

THX! Every example has some interesting feature.

Good: moves with the head (apparently), tapers of stored tools are completely covered and protected, the arm extending out and retracting is just totally  8)
Not-So-Good:   Slow, only a few tools, tools hang over the table.
« Reply #299 on: October 14, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Ray,

You better get a move on, buddy. You have been at this ATC project waaay longer than me so it will be  :-[  if I beat you to the punch.

I wrapped up some incidental loose end stuff; intelock pin and solenoid for the drawbar actuator, beefed up the interlock lever on the pod, etc, got the shafts made for the swing arm and the carousel, and ordered the steel to make the mounting brackets for everything . . . . . before putting the whole shebang on a shelf.

You're getting a 60 day window now to keep that tortoise moving while the hare is off on a rabbit trail doing other stuff. After that, I figure about a week and I'll be changing tools.

Contest rules: everything does not have to be powder coated or otherwise 'spiffy',  but the automatic tool change has to be . . well . .  automatic,  and under its own power. No manual operation and no  . .  uh . .  temporary actuators . . . 

However, other  . .  'favored contestants' will be allowed to demonstrate the completed ATC on a totally non functional mock up of the milling machine head . . .  because there is no actual mill yet . .  and because he is making the rules.  ;D

Contest winner is responsible for any and all federal, state and local taxes on prizes, which may include a case of the contestant's favorite beer  . .  and bragging rights.

Tick, tick, tick . . . . 

Steve,

You've had the considerable advantage of actually being able to work on yours....  Except for about 30 minutes to install the flow control valves and make that video, I've been too busy with "real" work to touch mine in weeks.  Hopefully later this week I'll be abve to get back on it.  I think I can finish it off in about a week, once I have the time.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.