Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:40:26 PM

Author Topic: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course  (Read 562417 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course
« Reply #270 on: October 08, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »
A 'linear' relationship means that the calculation is the same at every point in the curve.

Actually....  conventionally, a "linear relationship" means a graph of the relationship would yield a straight line.  For example, Y = 3 * X is a linear relationship, while Y = 1 / X is not.  Both *are* "linear equations", since neither contains any exponentials, logs, trig functions, or or non-linear terms.

If Y is always 1/X and there are no other terms that change this relationship, the the relationship is linear . . . not meaning a straight line, but rather unchanging . . . like a staight line . . . only different.  ???  On topic, the relationship between torque, time and horepower does not change with torque, time or horsepower, so what shall we call that relationship?

Easy to see there is bordome brewing. I will post some photos of the finished Rev1 claw. Then the red pencils can come out and we will resume the fun.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
Next you can add in the lateral  cutting forces involved with the machine.  (;-) Light cutting or heavy hogging . 6 flute cutting or 1 flute cutting

You asked for participation(;-)  Be Careful what you ask for.  LOL

(;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
You asked for participation(;-)  Be Careful what you ask for.  LOL

Your participation is;   Usually interesting. Occasionally entertaining. Always welcome and appreciated.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 08, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Time for new stuff. Two topics the carousel pod and the claw. NOTE the photo attaching did not work again, so I am using the previous method

First photo is a test rig for the prototype # 2 gripper type Carousel pod. It works perfectly, holds the adapter tight against the o-ring seal and is just cool looking. So after much contemplation, Ive decided against doing the hybrid prototype and will stick with the gripper pod. It is a little bit more challenging to make and more $$, but not when compared against doing an entire third prototype. I wanted to avoid torquing the carousel with the release cylinder above the pods, but the force needed to yank the adapter out of the hybrid pod might well be more then the cylinder exerts, so that became something of a moot point.

Enough about the pod. On to the CLAW . . .  dun duuuun <- scary sound effect  ::)

OK, the claw has a rocker in place of the finger on the previous  . .  hand . .  (it was not strong  enough to enjoy true claw status). The rocker snaps smartly to its open and closed positions by way of an over-center spring plunger arrangement. The force is quite high and it requires a very enthusiastic deceleration to dislodge the adapter.

Which brings us to the safety interlock. When the claw rocker is in the closed position, the spring loaded interlock plunger moves between the rocker and the claw body, interfering with the claw rotation and preventing the release of the adapter. The plunger is retracted by the solenoid which allows the rocker to  . .  rock . . and release the tool. The rocker remains in the open position under spring pressue until it is again slapped around an adapter. I have messed with it a bit and it seems to be working as intended so this will be the final design for the Claw. The pod will get some minor improvements to make the interlock a little bit more bulletproof and that wraps up the tool transfer mechanisms for the ATC.

Last order of business will be the actuators for the arm and the carousel, but that will have to wait as I have higher priorities ahead of this.

I hope everyone has enjoyed the thread so far. My objective here was not to bring cool finished parts for show and tell, but rather to show the development process that results in the cool parts . .  including the fails which are part of the normal flow. You hope the design will pass all testing and be a done deal (like the first spindle gripper), or perhaps have some typical adjustments and minor changes and still move into the light. Really you don't like to abandon finished prototypes altogether, but in engineering we have a saying; 'you can't polish a turd'. Mo better go back to the drawing board than to break out the brasso and have at it. The first claw was a clear fail  . .  which is bad. The first pod, while functional, was supplanted by a superior idea . . which is not so bad.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:58:52 PM by simpson36 »

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2012, 06:27:29 AM »
Are you really Tony Stark?
Beautiful work as usual. Question on the finish of the gripper. Looks anodized. Did you glass bead it first? Soda blast? When I anodize my parts I get a good finish but the finish on the gripper is really nice.

Thanks
Derek

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:17 AM »
Are you really Tony Stark?
Beautiful work as usual. Question on the finish of the gripper. Looks anodized. Did you glass bead it first? Soda blast? When I anodize my parts I get a good finish but the finish on the gripper is really nice.

Thanks
Derek

;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 09, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
WTF is he anyway?
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
WTF is he anyway?
Hood
Not what, WHO.   I had to google him. It is the Iron Man character. I was looking for the connection when my wife said that a claw was a prominent prop in the movie. I don't remember that, but then I don't remember what I had of breakfast . . .  or if I even had breakfast. Know what I mean Fred?

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »
I was inferring the skill level not a specific prop:) You guys need to get out and see a movie now and again!

Derek