Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 02:31:33 PM

Author Topic: FTDI USB Driver Error  (Read 8436 times)

FTDI USB Driver Error
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Hello:

Yet another IO error with the SS USB. This is a new build of the Kronos krmx02 fame. The problem is while running a project for 10 to 15 min. I get this error.
Error returned from usb function FT_Write.
Error: FTDI USB Driver Error
Error = FT_IO_Error
Bytes requested : 192
Bytes written : 0

I have turned off the power saving on usb root hubs.
SS noise filter is set to 10.
Mach 3 debounce set to 1000

The SS is connected to a PMDX - 126 BB.

I have a 10 ga copper wire connected between the machine , the control cabinet, and the computer.

Any suggestions??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: FTDI USB Driver Error
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:21:41 AM »
You could try using external power for the SS if not already doing so.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
Thank you for responding Hood.

I was operating from usb power. As you suggested have just converted to external power. All worked fine for about 4 min. then the same error message. I have tried operating with all limits and estop wires disconnected and it still gives a random time interval of operation before stopping. The motor cables are shielded, factory cables. I have used another computer running win 7 32 bit with the same problem. I have used the development copy of mach 3 and the current lock down version. Same problem.
I am wondering if I should switch to ethernet. Do you think Warp9 will swap?

John

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »
This type of problem is typically caused by electrical noise disrupting the USB communication. Try this: Keep your spindle turned off and 'cut air'. Do you still have the problem?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
I tried running the cnc without the router motor running. The problem did not show. I have just ordered some ferrite suppressors and line filters. I will try this asap.

Thanks

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »
OK, so it seems like the router motor is creating a lot of noise. What type of router motor do you have? Is it a handheld router? Do you have it plugged into the same electrical circuit as your PC/stepper drive box?

There are two main points of focus with problems like this:

1) Stop the noise at its source. Using a line filter on the AC line to the router motor will help keep the noise from feeding back into the mains (AC line).
2) Stop any noise in the mains (AC line) from getting to your PC/stepper control. I use a 10A line filter before my PC and stepper drive box.

The ferrites can help quench any noise that is being carried by a single cable.

None of these are a 'one size fits all' fix, but they all typically help. Since you know what the source of the noise is you are on your way to solving the problem.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
The router is a hand held Makita RF1101. I ordered a 20A line filter and numerous ferrites from Soigeneris. I hope this solves my problem.

Thanks

John