Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:08:15 PM

Author Topic: Z-axis problem on our drill  (Read 10763 times)

Re: Z-axis problem on our drill
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
Rich,
       We reloaded the software onto a new PC and the problem with skipping steps has been eliminated.  The g-code is now cutting the parts on the x and y axis's, and the z is mostly working except, on each pass the z raises slightly so by the end of the cut, the cutting tip is way up in the air.  It's as if the x axis on the mill is at about a 30% angle.  Is there a setting where I can tell mach 3 where '0' on the z axis is at more than one point of the cutting table?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
 Is there a setting where I can tell mach 3 where '0' on the z axis is at more than one point of the cutting table?
Not that I know of.

You say that the problem of missing steps was corrected yet the Z is still not holding to position. ???
 How about swapping one of the other drives to run the Z and see if the problem is drive related.
RICH
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
I would thing that you have something loose in the mill, like a loose coupling from Z motor to the screw.

When you home the Z axis after that, what happen?

Just guessing.

Jeff
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
problem fixed.  turns out it was a bad controller board in our system.  put in a new one and the problem went away.  thanks for the help.