Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 02:24:35 PM

Author Topic: Rank newbie question  (Read 3815 times)

Offline skaha

•  57 57
  • My first attempt
    • View Profile
Rank newbie question
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
Hi, I got the cnc bug about 3yrs ago, bought plans and built a router that does work, I also purchased the Mach program, now what? I gave up in frustration, today I decided to dig it out and try again. My problem as a newbie is where do I go from here, I would like to draw simple aluminum parts for my other hobbies, convert to g code and run them. Do I lay out a chunk of cash for a cad-cam program and try to learn it? I am retired so learning something new is not as easy as it used to be, are there any free programs or low cost ones that would work for me?
Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Rank newbie question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
Hi Terry,

have a look at CAMBAM its free to very low cost and is very good for generating g-code.

http://www.cambam.info/downloads/

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »
Thanks Graham, will  have a look.
Terry
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
I also use CamBam, and recommend it. In addition, there is a free CAD design program out there.

DraftSight. It is free, and very powerful. It is produced by Dassault Systemes of France, the parent company of SolidWorks. There are over 40 videos on YouTube, demonstrating various features. It is a 2D CAD program, and can output the correct format for CamBam to read in, and generate Gcode. They would like users to step up to SolidWorks eventually. 

The demo of CutViewer is good for 30 days. Another superb tool. You can watch your finished program machine a virtual solid. :o
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
Thanks for the help, I have just been playing with cambam and I think it is starting to make sense to this fuzzy old brain. Appreciate the help.
Terry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,200 9,200
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »
Hi Terry,

I started out with GSimple http://www.gsimple.eu/

It is pretty basic, easy to learn and again it is free.

Tweakie.
PEACE