Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:04:16 AM

Author Topic: Unequal Depth of Cut  (Read 4431 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Unequal Depth of Cut
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
There is a difference of 0.070” on the depth of cut from one end of the X travel to the other and I can’t figure out where the problem is

On the attached pic, points A,B, C are equal to the table top on both ends and the D (Z axis plate) is square to the table.

What I should check next?
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Unequal Depth of Cut
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
When actually cutting or when checking the table?

You need to have the table parallel to the X & Y axes full travel at all points on the table. So take accurate measurements
with an indicator locked onto the vertical support below point C and do the same for the other side and take a measurement
at each end and in the middle of the table, then mount the indicator in the middle of the brace along C. Resolve the points to a common high or low reference. Can't tell form the photos, but i would first want to know if the brace for the z axis is raising or lowering because of screw deflection.The table ideally should be flat and not bowed or twisted after it was mounted. If you had a nice long straight edge it would make things easier to do.

RICH
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:43:46 PM by RICH »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
Actually I started to do my 1st cut on a piece of MDF and noticed that the depth was not equal. Then I mount my indicator on the spindle and noticed the same.

I do have a straight edge and the table top is flat so the problem must be somewhere on the parts of the X axis. I doubt that there is screw deflection.

I will take measurements as you say RICH and hopefully I will find the error
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
Sorry but my straight edge proved to be NOT so straight. Checking the table top with a new straight edge proved that the top is out the wack in numerous places.

So I removed the Aluminum top and installed a 5/8” thick MDF and now all is fine
Nicolas

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »
Nicolas,

To get the best level surface, don't forget to take a surface cut of the MDF table top.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
Good idea Dave,

I have a Taig spindel and the table top is about 27"x 41". What will be the best endmill to do this job?
Nicolas
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
We would generally use the largest cutter we could rigidly swing to do a job like this, normally a single point fly cutter, but I don't know if you can hold one.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
Agreed with EJParrott, since you have the Taig spindle, I would personally get a 3/8" shank flycutter, and surface with that. Just take your time and don't try to take too much at once.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
I will get a 3/8" shank flycutter, thank you
Nicolas