Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:29:44 PM

Author Topic: DRO#s in WIZARDS  (Read 4607 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
DRO#s in WIZARDS
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »
I thought that ALL dros in Wizards are treated independantly in MACH3 . IF you had a UserDro(2000) in one wizard it would NOT effect the same use of the DRO in another wizard or MACH3.

BUT that does not seem to be the case any more. I have wizards that are updating each other from using the same DRO#s.

Anyone else seen that lately ???

I think NOW I remember WHY I stopped building WIZARDS LONG ago,  :'(  >:(

Just when you think you have it figured out AGAIN, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:26:31 PM by BR549 »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: DRO#s in WIZARDS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »
I've always believed that each specific number can only be used once, and whether it's used in different screens or wizards, the values won't change. So you can load a new screen, and a wizard, and if they all use the same DRO #'s, the values will be persistant across screens.

User DRO's are really no different than standard DRO's.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
Terry,

AFAIK, DROs are a single, global pool.  If ANY two scripts, plug-ins, wizards or whatever use the same DRO number, they will step on each other.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »
I rememebr Art telling me that wizards were special and had their own def file stored in the wizard directory that held the Dro,led values to be use ONLY with that wizard when it was called.

Wizards would be basically useless with people from all over adding to the general mess IF all of them drew from the Dro global pool.  HOw would everyone keep track of the useage???

Seems it could be true though,  So much for doing anymore Wizards

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
Wizards would be basically useless with people from all over adding to the general mess IF all of them drew from the Dro global pool.  HOw would everyone keep track of the useage???

Terry,

Well.... that's exactly the situation you have with macros and DROs, so I don't see any difference.  It's a shame they didn't think to provide a means of allocating DROs and other resources at run-time, so you could be guaranteed no conflicts.  Right now, it's just a free-for-all, which is bound to run into trouble sooner or later, especially since there are not even any guidelines on DRO usage - like defined (recommended) ranges for macros, wizards, etc.  Not that anyone would follow such guidelines anyway....  So many things in Mach3 are handled like the Wild West - where possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
Arts notes:
Systemically, they are global, BUT when you load an addon, they are saved, the
addons values are loaded, then when you exit an addon,
they save to the addon, and reload the globals that were in effect at addon load
time. SO each should not affect the other.
You can see some strange effects if you load a wizard from a wizard, as that
could scramble things up a bit. Ill schedule that for a check,
but this was refined with an OEM with many special screens abotu 2 months ago,
all reports are good on that now. It was somethign not
noticed by general use, it took a special circumstance to see it..

Thanks,
Art
www.artofcnc.ca

BUT that appears to be NOT the CASE  in MACh3. As it has either changed or is broken.  What a mess it makes with wizards especially with MACROPUMPS running in the background.

I found some old trouble notes from MANY years ago stating the same thing so it never was FIxed correctly.

OH well, (;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »
The easy solution is to build all your wizards into the screenset, so there are no wizards. ;)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
Atcually that is what I do build it into the screenset. BUT then I cannot give you MY screenset to use for a cool function.

Wizards make that easy as they come self contained OR so I thought (;-( and made it easy to share functions.

But all that is now useless in most cases as there is NO provision to detect shared DRO,LED,Userlabels across Mach3 or all it's possible wizards and Macropumps and brains.

OH well , (;-) TP