Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:59:22 AM

Author Topic: Circular bolt pattern wizard question  (Read 4127 times)

Circular bolt pattern wizard question
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
Hello,

Im as new as can be and have just finished my Mach3 powered CNC mill build. Im learning here but need to make a adapter for a lathe chuck. I would like to use the circular bolt hole pattern wizard but have never used such a thing. Are there any tutorials or videos on how to program this wizard?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Circular bolt pattern wizard question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »
Dont think there will be any tutorials on that specifically but really its fairly easy. It is just a case of filling in the values for each of the DROs on the screen then pressing the Post Code button and the code will be written for you to run. To enter into a DRO you click it, type the value then press enter on your keyboard to save it in the DRO.
If you still have questions just post again.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Good deal,

Yeah I see the X and Y but assume that it locates the piece on the table. I need to figure out how to tell the mill how far to go to accurately locate the piece and drill the holes in the right spot. Do I put in the X and Y location of the part and zero the DRO on the wizard?

Thanks for your patience. Ive never even touched a CNC mill besides the one I just built.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
It all depends what you are doing, for example if you have a part that the centre of the drill patern will be X0 YO then you would centre the cutter on your part and then have X and Y as zero.
If your part has already had some machining done and say a corner of it was at zero then you may want the circle pattern to be centred on X2Y5 so you would enter that for the centre of your pattern in the wizard.
Hood