Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:45:56 AM

Author Topic: x axis mounted and working, y & z stalling!  (Read 13736 times)

x axis mounted and working, y & z stalling!
« on: January 12, 2007, 02:09:58 PM »
Hello,
I'm another newby to the world of cnc. I'm running mach2 and I've bought a plug and play 4 axis driver box with 3 steppers. My pin setup is correct according to the person I got the drive from and its set to 25khz in mach2. I also tested the x axis to get the correct speed for the steppers in config/motor tuning.
Once I mounted them to my mini mill, I realized that the x axis worked fine, but the y and z seam to stall in spite of having the same setup as the x!!
Has anybody else had this problem? Would it be something to do with the configuration on the computer, or an issue with the hardware? all of the motors work fine when plugged into the x axis...
Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me,
Steve
Re: x axis mounted and working, y & z stalling!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
try setting the speed of the other axis to be less... sounds to me like you have a problem with the other axis taking more power to move. This is not a problem and it happens to everyone :) See if tuning fixes it

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:51 PM »
Hello,
I've tried dropping the other two down but unfortunately they're still stalling. I also tried dropping the x axis down as I thought that that might be sapping all the power for the other two but that also had no effect.
Could it be a switch thats been set as a default that doesn't suit my set up?
The only other thing I can think of is that the ports have been wired up incorrectly for the steppers.
tis a little confusing...
Thank you for replying so quickly Brian,
Steve

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »
Hey Quinny,
    Can you post your xml and some more info about your set up.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »
Hello Brett,
Please find attached the xml file. I'm running the machine out of  the "rutex" option in mach2 as instructed by the man who sold it to me. The thing that might be different between my machine and his is that I think he's running an older version of mach2. He sent me a screen print of his pin setup and the page was different to mine. I don't know if that makes much difference to my problem.
I think the circuitry is german as it has t. ostermann printed on it, which I'm guessing is Thorsten ostermann who I have found with a google search. I'm running nema 23 steppers on the worlds smallest milling machine, which I'd have thought they could handle!!!
Thanks for taking the time to look at my post,
Steve
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »
You should be running Mach3... I hate mach2 ;)

All that said I don't get why you need to run in rutex mode... I think we should get your ports and pins setup for Mach3. Are you good with that?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »
Hey Quinny,
    Brian is right, as usual. He is allways right. ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
Hey Brian & Brett,
Setting up on mach 3 would be cool, the only problem is I have my tax bill to pay at the end of the month  :'( . Is there a demo version of it that I could play with until I can afford to settup the full version?
The other thing I was wondering is how much is the full version?
Thanks guys,
Steve
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:21:45 PM »
ok, took the effort to look at the purchase tab, DOH! Well done me for paying attention!!

Amnz

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »
I didn't see above if you already own Mach2, but if you do, you don't need to purchase Mach3.  just transfer your license over to the Mac3 folder.