Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:59:57 PM

Author Topic: Gcode Viewer  (Read 14482 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Gcode Viewer
« on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »
Does anyone know of a simple Gcode viewer to display a gcode file toolpath.

It does NOT need to do anything other than display the toolpath. It WOULD need to be able to allow you to page up and down through a directory of files and load and view as you go.

I know some may have literatly hundreds of Gcode programs stashed away and it would be handy to have a simple viewer to sort thru them.
Re: Gcode Viewer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
Terry,

Shoot me an e-mail.  I've got a nice one I can send you - it's what I use in the KFlop CNC Controller I wrote.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Does anyone know of a simple Gcode viewer to display a gcode file toolpath.

It does NOT need to do anything other than display the toolpath. It WOULD need to be able to allow you to page up and down through a directory of files and load and view as you go.

I know some may have literatly hundreds of Gcode programs stashed away and it would be handy to have a simple viewer to sort thru them.

I have often wished for the same thing. My ’descriptive’ titles aren’t so descriptive after 6 months or so.
Ideally it would be similar to AutoCAD’s ‘File Open’. That is, as you scroll thru a list of files a thumbnail appears in the Preview panel. No need to even open the file except to view it full-size.
Now that is something that would be really nice.
Al
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:48:45 PM by alenz »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »
A Lot of searching but nothing yet. (;-)

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
Terry,
In order to get a preview the program will need to backplot the code in some way. Not many free backplotters out there.
For a quick view one could always capture the graphics area after loading and save as a pic with the same name as the code file.

A friend just improved a backplotter he wrote which backplots the gcode directly into ACAD unfortunately it's his to give away
and i can't share it.
RICH

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »
An oldy but a goodie is http://www.cncsimulator.com/
I havnt checked it for years but it used to be free.
The Pythagorean theorem: The sum of the areas of the two squares on the legs (a and b) equals the area of the square on the hypotenuse (c).     a² + b² = c².

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »
I just went and downloaded it again and its a lot sexier than it used to be.
You'll need to follow its registration procedure and give it your real email addy to get it working fully for 60 days.
After 60 days you have to revisit the site to get another free 60 days renewal.
Its definitely worth the effort.
Benny
The Pythagorean theorem: The sum of the areas of the two squares on the legs (a and b) equals the area of the square on the hypotenuse (c).     a² + b² = c².

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
So far none of the backplotter have the SIMPLE functions needed for the job.

Scam has the closest thing so far with its Gcode importer BUT it too is missing the important link. Being able to thumb through a directory oif files and view them with page up /down driving the selection to view.

I am working on a version in MACH3 using its display code  IF I can get it to function correctly.  

All we really need it to do is Bring up the Gcode directory and select the first file then it display the toolpath.  After viewing the file Press Pagedown and it go to the next file in the dir and repeat.

Its only job is to allow the OPerator to view the many hundreds and hundreds of files saved over years of cutting in an EASY fashion.

In Sheetcam Less already provided a BATCH file conversion that will convert ALL the "job" files to a PNG for later viewing AND it works great for Scam job files. You can then use Windows pictur viewer to sort through all the files for viewing OR Batch printing if needed.

This one is for Gcode files.

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:26:46 AM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
Well I decided a MACH3 version of  WIZARD might do the job.

It is not perfect yet but getting there.

Note V.062 has been the worse so far as to CB behaving. It ignores code skips code and just a general PAIN to deal with.

This probably is a PLUGIN type function BUT I don't know plugins ???

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:40:00 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
"Cutviewer Mill"  simulator is what I bougt. Does great on 2.5D or 3D milling EIA code (g-code). Even simulates macro programming (custom macro B). great grafics and cheap. See links below. Had to acctually puchase from their diistributer CamBam which bundles it with their Cam software. $145.00 USD

http://sites.fastspring.com/hexray/product/all
http://www.cutviewer.com/