Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:35:47 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Mill, spindle index and G95?  (Read 4969 times)

Offline btu44

•  28 28
    • View Profile
Mach3 Mill, spindle index and G95?
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
I have finished installing a spindle tachometer using index pulse on my mill.
I was intending to use the tach signal with the G95, Feed per Rev.

During testing, Mach3 will run G95 code but not in real time. Meaning it set the feed rate after the last S word (RPM, S2000) but not on the fly. If I slow the spindle RPM manually during an air cut, the feed rate still doesn't slow.

Why I care is because I was hoping to use this as way to speed some parts I'm making. (My mill only has a 1 HP spindle) The parts have contouring mid point on a surface. So I plunge in and then contour across the surface.
During the main cut the spindle load is only 50% but during the initial plunge it is at 100%. So I was thinking that 'feed per rev' would slow the feed when the spindle was "bogging down" during the plunge and prevent spindle stall.
Then the feed would pick back up during the main contour cut. I'm surprised this is not working because Mach3 lathe does the feed to rev well during threading.

So am I asking Mach3 Mill to do something it can't or do I have a setup/config issue?

Thanks,
Barry

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Mill, spindle index and G95?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
Do you have "USE spindle sync "checkbox checked???   Feed per rev can be a funny thing to master with milling as it does things you would not think about normally. In Milling the only things I would consider for FPR would be drilling and threading and there it works fine.

(;-) TP

Offline btu44

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
Yes, I have spindle sync checked along with closed loop spindle control. I thought this would work well for T/C tapping. Didn't think of drilling...thanks for the tip.

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
That is the way it works, Mach only looks at the spindle speed on a commanded move, varying  spindle speed has no effect on the feed after the move has started. It is the same in turn as well, the only exception being threading and that is because it is handled in the driver.
Hood

Offline btu44

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
I was figuring that was the case. Maybe not a completely failed experiment but learned a few more things about Mach.

Thanks,
Barry