Hello Guest it is September 15, 2019, 09:25:07 PM

Author Topic: Z-Axis zero help!  (Read 1873 times)

Z-Axis zero help!
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »
Occasionally my Mach-3 will randomly reset the zero height of my z-axis in the middle of running a G-code--causing the bit to ruin my piece on the way to its next location.  This appears to happen when running a g-code longer than about 15,000 lines or so.  If I run the same code over again, the same thing happens, but in a different place...I don't see anything wrong in the code.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  7,903 7,903
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: Z-Axis zero help!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
Hi lxapilot,

No offence intended but are you certain that you are using a 'genuine' licensed version of Mach3 ??

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
Yes, it's a genuine, licensed copy.  As it turns out, it's not the z-offset that's changing, it's the machine coordinates.  As an example, the top of the piece in one of my projects is -2.3.  All of the suddent, the machine coordinate changes to +1.5, which moves the perceived zero and ruins the wood.  I would think this has to be a mechanical error, such as a motor binding, but I'm not sure.  I've changed the z-axis acceleration from 4.0 all the way down to 0.8, with the same problem.  I've also had this happen while in the middle of a long, straight cut with no programmed z-axis movement at all--all of the sudden my bit drops about a quarter inch further into the wood.  Any ideas?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  7,903 7,903
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
Hi  lxapilot,

If you zip and post (as attachment) a copy of the code you are having troubles with I can run it here. This should prove that it either is or is not a GCode / Mach3 issue.

(I never actually use offsets / machine co-ordinates as each job or fixture is generally always positioned in a slightly different place on the work table but there have been reported cases in the past where certain subroutines and offsets can cause conflicts).

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.