Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:31:03 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Help Please to Stupid Question Number 2  (Read 9630 times)

Newbie Help Please to Stupid Question Number 2
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »
Well, so far so good, No broken bits or broken fingers/arms/legs.   :o  I am now trying to set up my Spindle Motor which is a 200W Brushed Mains Motor. The Label reads ‘TM Multi-Use Heavy Duty Power Tool’ 200W Model No.99319   500 – 20,000 R/M and to all intents and purposes it looks and behaves much the same as a Sewing Machine Motor.

Poking about in the Engine Configuration | Ports and Pins Settings | Spindle Setup under the motor Control Options, I have checked the ‘Use Spindle Motor Output and set the PWM Base Freq. at 10Hz and the  Minimum PWM percentage at 20%

Using the Spindle CW F5 Button on the Mach3 Dashboard I can start and Stop the Motor running at about 600R/M but I cannot control the Motor Speed i.e. increase or decrease the speed with the up/down buttons. The Green slider goes up and down, but the motor speed remains the same - What am I doing wrong???

Once again, Not a jot of information in my useless Chinglish User Manual. Not even a mention that it has a Spindle Motor.   >:(
God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Help Please to Stupid Question Number 2
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:20:29 AM »
I dont have any experience of setting a spindle with PWM etc as I use servos on my machnes, however have you got the correct pin set in Ports and Pins, Motor Setup for the spindle?

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
Just looked at tyour previous xml and you have spindle setup set as Step/Dir, have you tried that as PWM instead?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:49:48 AM »
The Motor appears to be responding to the PWM Mack3 is delivering. the Dialogue Panel on Mach3 says it is running at 300RPM yet it is running about 1,200 RPM. I cannot make the Motor Run faster or slower. I can Stop and Start it. It respond to 'M3' in the G Code. Does that make any sense to you?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:41:54 AM »
Not really, as I said I have never used PWM so not sure how its meant to be set up, hopefully someone else will have and chime in.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
Thanks again buddie... That's another drink I owe you!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »
Do you definitely have the setting for PWM chosen, see pic.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
Yep.. That is set as is in your drawing. As I have said I can control the motor, Power On and Off but there is just no control over the spindle speed. One peculiar thing which happens when I change the Minimum PWM percentage say to 90% the motor runs flat out at 23,000 RPM (I have a tacho) and my Mouse Locks up, My display freezes and I have to manually disconnect the Spindle Motor to recover.....

The last puzzle which may give an indication as to what is going on is on my Mach3 Panel below the Spindle CW F5 Button where the Spindle RPM is, I cannot increase the speed beyond 300 RPM   :-\ 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
Computer freezing sounds like the motor is pumping out plenty noise and will likely give you issues.
The lowest DRO is the requested spindle speed so you would need to enter a RPM in that or command a speed from MDI line or code. The Middle DRO is spindle override and will only go to a maxof 300% above whatever spindle speed you have in the DRO below. The top DRO is the True spindle speed DRO and would only have a number in it if you had an index pulse feedbak to Mach.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
I'm no expert on this but AFAIK you need to set up ports n pins/spindle setup - which I think you've done. You also need to set up the spindle pin in ports n pins/motor outputs AND you need to configure your pulley(s) in config/spindle pulleys.

Thing is Mach has no idea how the mark/space ratio relates to an actual speed of a motor unless you tell it via pulleys.

So I think you'd create a single pulley def. with whatever min speed and 23000 max and select that pulley.

Ian