Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:14:30 PM

Author Topic: Yet another newbie needing any help possible  (Read 2725 times)

Yet another newbie needing any help possible
« on: December 27, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
Working to get my not so computer savvy cousin's table to talk with the computer. Sheetcam and Mach 3 are downloaded to the tables computer. I can navigate and setup sheetcam but the post processor works sometimes, but other times it pulls up nothing in mach 3. I have no specs on the table because said cousin purchased it from a second hand dealer. There are tons of post processors loaded to sheetcam, but no tools. I need help getting the correct post processor for the table and making it work with mach 3. Additionally will need guidance on setting up the plasma cutter itself and the control of that tool. Anything helps, I am desperate because I have no info on table. Any videos, advice, direction to other threads would help more than anything. Thanks,

Russell
Re: Yet another newbie needing any help possible
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Russel,
The post would be for Mach 3 and then may have some tweaks specific to the machine. Sheetcam produces a gcode file with one of several possible extensions like .nc. Gcode files are simple text files you can open in any text editor.

The Mach 3 manual is really quite good and you need to spend some time reading so you at least have some idea of the lingo associated with CNC.  Saying “the thingy on the left” just frustrates everyone.

Mach 3 is a G-code interpreter that outputs motion commands in several possible ways. The basic method is step and direction commands from a PC parallel port. If the connection to the machine is not by parallel port then the machine must have a motion control card installed which then does the step and direction stuff. It would be connected by USB or Ethernet.  Find out what you have so we can help.
Re: Yet another newbie needing any help possible
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:33 AM »
Hi Russell,
If you let us know where about you are located it is possible that someone close by might be able to give a hand.
If you don't know what you actually have for a machine and controls, post some pictures and maybe we can help you figure it out.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.