Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 01:57:49 AM

Author Topic: Galil I/O Questions (17xx/18xx)  (Read 4557 times)

Galil I/O Questions (17xx/18xx)
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
I'm converting a Clausing 5900 series manual lathe to CNC:
https://picasaweb.google.com/marty.escarcega/ClausingCNCLatheConversion

Making good progress, servo motor mounts/ball screw supports almost done.
Been working on the control and I have some questions:
I am using a Galil 1740, computer and plug in ready to go. I have uploaded my ICM1900 pin chart. I'd like someone to review it and see if it looks ok. X/Z axis typical. Want to use Y to command the VFD +/- 10VDC, W is for a future lathe turret.

My questions:
1. Kenny mentioned something about changing a chip on my ICM1900. Which one and when would I need to do that?
2. I would like an output for a mist system. It will simply turn on and off a relay. Which pin(s) can I use for such outputs and are they typically +5VDC to control small control relays?
3. I need an ESTOP input. Which inputs are typically used and do I use a ground input or a +5VDC input? or +12VDC input
4. I need an output (Like a charge pump). Once the computer is on line, I planned on turning on a +5VDC control relay which would in turn give me control voltage through one of the contacts, I press a system reset button and it will pull in a contactor to energize the Servo power supply and enable the VFD (Should I use a contactor for line voltage or just use low voltage enable circuits)
5. I planned on using limit switches on both ends of travel, one of which I had hoped to double as my home switch. I assume this is possible?
6. There are Auxillary Encoder inputs on the ICM1900. I wanted to use the X/Z auxillary inputs for an 100ppr encoder on each axis. From what I gather, I need to put an IDC 25 pin connector on the Galil motion control board and use a DB25 straight through cable to the ICM1900?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance,
Marty
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:49:12 PM by Marty_Escarcega »

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Galil I/O Questions (17xx/18xx)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »
Marty,

1.  For swapping the amp enable from high to low or vice verse, take a look at: http://www.galilmc.com/support/appnotes/optima/note1415.pdf
2.  You have 8 uncommitted outputs on your 1740.  Outputs #1-8.  Just map the mach mist signal to one of those pins in "ports and pins".  No matter what voltage you choose on the outputs (depends if they are opto isolated on your ICM), I would use it to drive a solid state relay to control your pump circuit.
3.  Wire your estop to to the Galil Abort input.  See the docs on your ICM and controller for how it should be wired.
4.  This depends on your servo amps.  If the have an an enable circuit, then wiring them to the amp enable outputs on the Galil would be sufficient.  The plugin sends SH to enable the amps and MO to disable the amps.  However, you may want to wire a contactor into your estop circuit to kill main power when in estop.  
5.  Yes.  Limits for homes is possible.
6.  The aux encoder inputs are just for the A and B encoder signals.  Hooking up just a plain encoder is pretty easy.  However, if you are using one of the available MPG pendants that have an axis choice switch and an increment selector, then there is a little more to it.  The encoder signals go to the same pins on the aux encoder input, but you will need to route the selector switches to inputs (and you only have 8).  Then you have to write a brain to take those inputs and tickle mach the right way.  It gets complicated.  :(

Steve
Re: Galil I/O Questions (17xx/18xx)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Steve thank you for replying. Did you happen to download the .pdf of my AMC/ICM1900 pinouts? I was hoping someone would take a look to see if I was on the right track. I am using AMC 30A8T DC Brush Servo Amps. To use the Auxillary Encoders on the ICM1900, do I need to add the DB25 connector to the 1730, and run a DB25 straight through cable from it to the DB25 on the ICM1900?

More comments below your answers:

Marty,

1.  For swapping the amp enable from high to low or vice verse, take a look at: http://www.galilmc.com/support/appnotes/optima/note1415.pdf
I will take a look at this, thanks. I need to read the docs on the AMC Servo Amp and find out if it wants a high or a ground input.

2.  You have 8 uncommitted outputs on your 1740.  Outputs #1-8.  Just map the mach mist signal to one of those pins in "ports and pins".  No matter what voltage you choose on the outputs (depends if they are opto isolated on your ICM), I would use it to drive a solid state relay to control your pump circuit.
I don't believe I have the Opto Isolated ICM1900, my pictures from the link I posted in the first message show it, but there are only a couple IC's on it.
So if not Opto Isolated, are they +5VDC or +12VDC outputs?

3.  Wire your estop to to the Galil Abort input.  See the docs on your ICM and controller for how it should be wired.
Easy enough....

4.  This depends on your servo amps.  If the have an an enable circuit, then wiring them to the amp enable outputs on the Galil would be sufficient.  The plugin sends SH to enable the amps and MO to disable the amps.  However, you may want to wire a contactor into your estop circuit to kill main power when in estop. 
In my pin out chart you will see I wired the AMC Enable pins to the ICM 1900. So, I don't need to worry about a control relay to power up the Power Supply Transformer or the VFD?

5.  Yes.  Limits for homes is possible.
Great, just program as such in Ports and Pins in Mach?

6.  The aux encoder inputs are just for the A and B encoder signals.  Hooking up just a plain encoder is pretty easy.  However, if you are using one of the available MPG pendants that have an axis choice switch and an increment selector, then there is a little more to it.  The encoder signals go to the same pins on the aux encoder input, but you will need to route the selector switches to inputs (and you only have 8).  Then you have to write a brain to take those inputs and tickle mach the right way.  It gets complicated.  :(
Well, right now, I want to add a 100ppr encoder for each axis, X & Z. The wheels will be on the apron. I was trying to minimize the number of switches on the lathe operator console and was planning on a touch screen monitor (Maybe a 19" monitor?) Though it would be nice to have a feed over ride and a spindle speed override on the panel. Thoughts on this appreciated.

Steve

Thank you Steve