Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:13 AM

Author Topic: motors stalling and or missing steps  (Read 4437 times)

motors stalling and or missing steps
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
  Hello everyone.
   I'm running two machines both gecko540 - 270 oz steppers, windows 7 same set up numbers both machines. Problem is one of the machines the motors stall and or miss steps. Swapped contol box, swapped motors and swapped computers. I've narrowed it down to the computer problem seems to follow the computer. The motors are shielded . Had the I.T. guy thoroughly check the computers and can find no problem. Also if you hold one of the motors in your hand you can feel kind of a " ticking "
Any ideas anyone.

Thanks Dave
Re: motors stalling and or missing steps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
What are the specs of the computer with the problem, and what chipset and drivers are you running?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
Is there any difference in the Driver test results between the two computers?
RICH
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
 Both driver tests are virtually the same. The 2 computers are identical.

Dave

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
I suggest you have a look at the signal quality of both computers to confirm and compare as that may give you some insight into what is going on.

RICH
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »
THanks Rich can you tell me how to check the signal quality and i'll pass it on to our electrical guy

Thanks
Dave
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
One thing that caused that to happen to me was that I had my toolpath tolerance set too tight, that is if your using a software to make your programs. I had my tolerance set to .0002 and it was missing steps I changed it to .002 and I had no problems.
"Ideas have consequence" Ravi Zaccharias

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
Dave,
Have your tech hook up an oscilloscope to see what each computers pulse wave looks like.
Compare the good on to the bad one.
You mentioned a ticking sound and that may be indicative of an additional signal mixed with the main signal or there is ringing on the square wave.

RICH

Offline nik

•  69 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:42 AM »
on one PC I have also that ticking sound some time, I keep restarting until sometime work for a while
winxp installed as per notes for xp installation for mach3 but still not working stable
keep stalling some time even on slow motion there is pauses without any pulsing
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
 Had the IT guy remove everything from the computer and reinstall the operating system with no updates and it looks like all my problems have disappeared.